Chapter 31: Celebrations

Meduseld was filled with people when we returned. They still had post victory happiness, I'm guessing, since they were laughing and smiling. I sadly, could not share their joy.

"What's wrong?" Legolas asked me as I put Hausfel in his stable, "You seem... down." 

I nod, "Aye, I am." I sigh. "I'm not quite sure why I am so unhappy, since I have no reason to feel so." I stroke Hasufel's neck, trying to answer his question.

"Was is Saruman?" Legolas asked, "His death seemd to bother you." He takes a step towards me, and I tense.

"I don't think so." I say slowly, "I don't think I'm sad because of that cruel piece of nature." Legolas nods, but I can tell he expected more of an answer. "I can't answer your question Legolas, since I don't even know what is bothering me." I turn to him, smiling. "I promise, if I knew, I would have told you." 

He looks down, "I.... just want you to feel happy." He looks at me, "Like your supposed to. You aren't supposed to be so down, in this time of gladness." He wraps me into a tight hug. "Can you at least tell me what will make you happy?" 

I smile, taking a step back, "I'm a littler happier now."

He smiles, brushing his lips against mine, "Good." He takes a step back, "We should probably go back to Meduseld. The hall is probably filled with people by now." 

I give him a quick nod, and walk out of the stables, Legolas following shortly behind me. "Hailey. Legolas!" Aragorn says as he jogs towards us, "Theoden is about to start the celebration. He didn't want you two to miss it, so he sent me to find you." He smiles, looking at Legolas. Does he know whats been happening between us?

Probably.... Legolas and him are really good friends. But.... what is happening between us? I shake my head, trying to free my head from those thoughts. I didn't really want to know what was happening between that elf and I.

"Hailey," Legolas's voice brings me out of my head, "Come. As Aragorn said, Theoden is waiting for us." I nod, and we briskly walk up into Meduseld. 

Theoden begins his speech when we walk into the hall, "Soldiers and people of Rohan!" He bellows, his voice echoing throughout the hall, "It has been three days since our victory at Helms Deep." The crowd roars with triumph. "Since then, we have mourned those whom we have lost. But, it was not in vain that they died!" The hall grows quiet. "Today, we shall celebrate our victory, and the lives of all those who fought for the safety of our people!!" 

The hall once again is filled with the thunderous cheering. "Drink, and be merry!!" Theoden cries. We hold up our mugs of ale, clinking them together like a toast to something. I took a small sip of my ale, since I had never had an alcoholic beverage before. It's flavor was indescribable. I put my mug down, not sure if I liked it or not.

"Hailey." Legolas comes up behind me, placing his hand on my shoulder. "Gimli has challenged me to a..... drinking contest." He gives me a look of confusion. "Care to watch?" 

I laugh, "Sure, Legolas. Why not?" We walk over to the table where Gimli was standing.

"No spills." Eomer says, filling up two mugs of ale.

"And no regurgitation." Gimli says, causing me to laugh. 

"So..." Legolas says, taking his mug of ale," It is a drinking game?" 

"Aye," Eomer says, filling up two more mugs.

"May the last one standing win!" Gimli says, laughing. He starts the game by drinking his mug of ale. "Good luck, Elvish Princing!" 

I watch the competiton until something behind them catches my eye. Eowyn approached Aragorn, offering him a goblet, saying something. He says something back to her as he accepts the goblet, drinking from it. Her face lights up when Aragorn isn't looking. After he hand her the cup back, he walks towards Gandalf. 

Theoden walks over to her, and I can finally hear some of the conversation, "He is a honourable man." He smiles down at his niece, "I am happy for you."

"You are both honourable men." Eowyn counters.

"It was not Theoden of Rohan who led our people to victory." He pauses, and shakes his head. "Tch. Don't listen to me. You are young, and tonight is to celebrate. Go now, enjoy the party." 

I smile sadly as Gimli's loud voice brings my attention back to them, "Hehehehe... it is the dwarves." He starts to slur as he accepts another tankard, "That go swimming with hairy little women..." He laughs, downing his mug.

Legolas on the other hand, looks completely unaffected. He holds up his hand, a concerned look on his face. "I feel a slight tingle in my fingers..." He says, looking at me, "I think it's affecting me...."

"Hehe, the elvish princling can't hold his liquor!!" Gimli slurs. He starts to drink another, but I see his eyes cross. He moans, and falls backwards.

Legolas looks at the dwarf, laying on the ground next to him, then to me, "Game over." He shrugs, placing his tankard on the table. I laugh, and he smiles at me.

"Oh you can search far and wide," I turn my attention to Merry and Pippin, who were standing on a table, mugs in their hand, singing, "You can drink the whole town dry, But you’ll never find a beer so brown,"

"But you’ll never find a beer so brown," Pippin echoes. They start to stamp their feet on the table

"As the one we drink in our hometown," 

Pippin echoes Merry again, "As the one we drink in our hometown"

Then, they sing, more like yell, in unision. "You can drink your fancy ales, You can drink them by the flagon!" I turn, and see Gandalf smiling at them. "But the only brew for the brave and true..." Pippin cuts off, looking at Gandalf.

"Pippin!" Merry elbows his stage partner.

Pippin looks at Merry, and they start again. "But the only brew for the brave and true! Comes from the Green Dragon!"  They tip their heads back, and drink their mugs of ale.

Merry is the first to finish, and he bows, "Thank you, I win!" He says, laughing. 

I walk over to Aragorn smiling, "Any news of Frodo?" 

He shakes his head. "No word. Nothing." His smile fades, and he looks at me.

"We have time, and hope." I say, trying to comfort him, "Everyday, Frodo, Sam, and the Ring move closer to the fires of Mount Doom."

"We don't know that." He says, his voice low.

"What does your heart tell you?"

He looks at me and smiles, "That Frodo is alive." He nods his head, "Yes. They are alive."