Chapter 1: The Beginning

The sun was shining brightly into my room when I rolled out of bed. I glanced at my clock, which was sitting on my night stand. Tick tock. Tick tock. It was 7:43. Stumbling over to my window, I open my pale green drapes. My eyes were greeted by the unwanted brightness of the sun. Squinting, I wait for my eyes to adjust. I slowly open my eyes, and gaze into the grassy yard. Washington is probably only know for its vast amount of trees, but for some reason, I liked it here.

        "Hailey, you're finally up!" My older brother, Skye, says.

        " 'Mornin' to you too."  Pushing past him, I head down stairs to grab something to eat.

       Skye, being the subborn boy he is, follows me downstairs,  "Hailey. Father wants you to-"

        "It's to damn early to think about what he wants, okay?" I, like my brother, dispised my father.

He was a harsh man, the kind of man who tgives  you these hard ass tasks, and beats you if you do something wrong....or if you do anything I guess. Skye and I are covered in bruises and cuts from his beatings, and new ones get added everyday it seems. You see, my family lives on a farm, meaning there is always, ALWAYS stuff to get done. I mostly tend to the cattle, which also includes butchering them when it's time.  Not the most... appealling job, I know. 

"There she is. My heartless girl," Father spits, kicking open the door, wearing a cruel grin on his face. "Why didn't you come to me when I asked, Hailey? You're normally so obeident." He walks over to me, awaiting my answer.

"I'm done with being treated like one of the animals, so I ignored your request. Isn't it obvious?" I stare my father in the eye, trying to hide my fear. He walks closer to me, inches away from me. My breathe grows thin with nervousness.

He raises is hand, causing me to flinch. I was ready to except my fate. SLAP. SLAP. SLAP.  "Let me tell you something, girly. I am the boss around here, not you. YOU listen to what I say, ya got it?"

I turn and try to walk away from him, but he grabs my shoulders, and throws me to the ground. A good twenty minutes, and what felt like a lifetimes worth of pain, later, Skye is helping me off the ground, carrying me up to my room. He leaves again, and comes back with ice, and three boxes of Band-Aids. When the worst of my injuries were tended for, Skye left to go to his share of the work, and being the overly caring brother he is, some of mine.