Chapter 72

Chapter 72

Jiyasha and Aditi were taken aback when they saw Ankit entering the house limping and there were clotted wounds all around his body. Both the girls including Kriti ran towards him but Jiyasha was supposed to maintain a distance from him. Jiyasha knew Ankit hated her so she stood behind them, quietly gaping at her hurt brother.

Aditi caught hold of Ankit's arm. "How did you get beaten up when you are the only one who wins every year?"

Ankit stammered while speaking, "That Mohit betrayed me."

Aditi was taken by surprise. "Isn't Mohit your best friend who gambles with you every year in partnership and wins for you? And it is this Mohit with whom you had fixed Kriti's marriage."

Ankit nodded vigorously and wrapped his arm around Kriti. "I'm sorry for not understanding you being your elder brother. I tried to fix your marriage with the betrayer Mohit. But no, I've realized my folly and I won't let it happen again. I've cancelled everything and broke the friendship I had with him. You know how much I hate betrayers because my father had betrayed my mother some day."

Tears encircled Jiyasha's eyes for she knew Ankit's pain more than anyone else. She had secretly seen him crying in loneliness for his mother's pain. He was the eldest son of the family and he was a grown up when the incident took place in the family. Naturally, it was viable for him to be more affected than a little Kriti or Jiyasha. Eventually his hatred for Jiyasha grew in his heart and also he was not properly educated which could have made his thoughts open minded. He was getting lost in the vicious circle of all the gambling and other activities in the village.

Aditi asked, "I don't believe you. You are very stubborn and not the one who will change your mind so easily."

"Believe me Aditi. Mohit lost in the game deliberately after taking bribe from the opposition. He made me realize that I was trusting betrayers more than the ones in my family. My friends were the only ones brainwashing me against my family members, against..." Ankit stopped and rotated his eyes to look at Jiyasha. "Against my baby sister Jiyu.."

One sentence and Jiyasha froze in her place. Old memories were brewing in front of her eyes when they were little kids. She remembered how Ankit used to take care of her when she was only a toddler. He gave the share of chocolates and gifts to Jiyasha more than Kriti. She even reminisced when he used to call her in the same way in the childhood but a single incident took away everything from them. Not only Jiyasha but even Kriti and Ankit had suffered unknowingly.

Ankit continued, "My friends and others continued instigating me and filling my brain with dirt against her. I was told that she was the daughter of my father's second wife and not my own sister, she was not similar to my blood and could turn a betrayer in the future. I believed them more than her and I never realized when I started betraying Kriti. I was trying to force her to marry someone who was as bad as Mohit."

Aditi felt her heart beating outside of her chest for the first time since she was married to Ankit. She muttered, "But what about that threat you used to give Kriti? You told her you would hurt Jiyasha if she ever went near her?"

Ankit sighed. "I know I used to do that but have I ever hurt her? Jiyasha was the most beautiful girl in my village and to protect her from all the evil eyes, I did it so that you could decide to send her to the martial arts' training. Do you remember that I was the only one who had brought the news of a new martial arts' centre being opened outside the village? I did it deliberately. You may not believe me for what I've done to all of you and pleading for forgiveness won't be enough. But I will prove to have been changed in real with my actions."