Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Lucy
October 2018

After a very restrictive, out-of-the-house-twice-a-week bedrest, Luke and I are visiting our doctor, Dr. Mompoint, about lifting my bedrest or inducing my labor. My baby boy is more than a month behind schedule.

"There is nothing wrong with your baby," Dr. Mompoint tells us after the ultrasound where peace overtook me as we listened to his strong, loud heartbeat. "He is completely heathy. He just does not want to come out yet."

"There has to be something wrong, doc. Lola came too early and this one is too late. Something has to be wrong," Luke lets the worry wash over him. "Do you think it was the car accident? Could he be still in there from that?"

"Mister Boyd, there is nothing wrong with your son besides him already being a Mama's boy." Dr. Mompoint jokes and I laugh. Luke looks at me like I've gone crazy.

I grab Luke's hand with a tight grip. "Baby, it's just not his time yet. He'll get here when God wants him here. Until then," I look at Dr. Mompoint as I squeeze Luke's hand. "Can I please leave my house for more than two times out of the damn week?"

"Please tell her no, doc." Luke rolls his eyes.

"I can't do that, Mister Boyd. Miss Wallace-Tresvant has had no pain nor has she or the baby shown any signs of distress. I would actually recommend that you start moving around the house more or going to your dance studio and do some stretching," Dr. Mompoint looks at my chart. "I see you've selected a home birth. Any reason why?"

"Well, being in hospitals are hard for me. And with the both of us spending more time at home, I just want to welcome our baby into our home as quickly as possible. I've already found the best doula and midwife. They're on standby." I answer as I rub my stomach.

"Very well. I will also be on standby if you need my assistance. I do plan on Junior here being the last baby that I deliver. I'd like to be there." Dr. Mompoint signs my discharge papers.

"Sounds good to us, doc. Thank you." Luke gets up to shake the doctor's hand before helping me off of the medical table.

"I want a hot sausage sandwich." I tell Luke as we walk through the clinic lobby. A few other pregnant women look up in agreement or want.

"Good. I want that, too. About time these hormones agreed with my tastebuds." Luke says as he holds the door open for me and a lot of the partners of pregnant women 'huff' in agreement.

I just smile as I let him help me into the car. When he's in the car, I reach over to place my hand on the back of his neck and rub him softly with my thumb. "I didn't get to ask Dr. Mompoint one question."

"Which was?" Luke as while starting the car. The cold weather has been slowly creeping it's way into our lives. I thought Boston falls and winters were cold but it has nothing on when the water in the humid air hits your face first thing in the morning.

"If I could have sex again." I whine softly. This pregnancy has really made me feel like a whore for wanting sex all of the time, but I can't help it.

"I'll go back in and ask for you. I wouldn't want you uncomfortable or unsatisfied, Mama." Luke smiles at me. I nod and he kisses me before jumping out of the Cadillac and going back into the clinic.

As I wait for him, I text and email a few people back and take a look at social media. I answer and like a few posts I was mentioned in before hitting up the BGM👑BBJ group message (Black Girl Magic and Black Boy Joy). We've changed the name of the group message so many times that I had basically tell everyone off for them not to change it again.