Chapter 8

Chapter 8
August 2018

Wally

I didn't think about much as Yasmine and I gathered Jasmine and drove across the river to Ochsner Hospital where Lucy and Michael B are being taken because of a car accident they were in.

Within the thirty minutes that Michael called, it's been all over the news and social media: Pregnant Superstar Lucy Wallace-Tresvant and Actor Michael B. Jordan Involved in a Non-Fatal Car Crash in New Orleans. That's how long it took me to drive across the river with the morning work traffic. By the time I made it, reporters were hanging outside of the hospital where police officers were keeping them back.

"My cousin Lucile Wallace-Tresvant was just brought in with Michael B. Jordan. I need to know where they are." I tell the nurse behind the front desk. She tells me all of the information that I need and Yasmine and I are running through the hospital.

When I make it to the maternity floor where Lucy is being held, I'm met by nurses who tell me what I need to know about the two.

She and the baby are fine but she passed out from a panic attack and Michael fainted from a mild concussion. I was able to call his mom and dad and they're on the first flight from Los Angeles with my aunt Cassie, uncle Ralph, my aunt Jacque and uncle Michael, and my mom and dad.

Luke and Lola are flying from Atlanta with Algee and Kim. JJ and Charlie are coming from Chicago while RJ, Kat Graham, and their daughter Raleigh and the twins are also coming from Los Angeles. They're just a flight behind the others. The only one not coming is Tre who doesn't want to leave Alexus' side. But that's understandable— his fiancé is big and pregnant and he can't imagine leaving her by herself.

"Only one visitor at a time. Her vitals are normal and so are the baby's. They're heart rates haven't slowed down yet but that's because her body's still in shock. The trauma and shock hasn't worn off yet." The doctor tells me as Yasmine and I try to enter Lucy's hospital room with Jasmine.

"Okay. What about the man that was with her? Michael B. Jordan?" I ask.

The doctor looks down at his charts. "Mister Jordan's fine. He'll be awake soon. He fainted from his head injury. But there shouldn't be any lasting or extensive damage."

"Thank you." I shake the doctor's hand before looking at Yasmine.

She looks at me as if I'm stupid. "Go sit in there with your cousin, Stephan. I'll be in the waiting room waiting for your families to get here. Be with her. I'll try to sneak into Michael's room so he isn't alone when he wakes up."

"Thank you. So much. I'm sorry this cut into our trip." I kiss her. She shakes her head as she walks away mumbling a prayer.

I enter Lucy's room to see her somewhat peacefully sleeping. It hurts to look at her with wires everywhere. The last time I saw so many machines hooked up to her, her heart stopped.

I take a seat at her bed side and grab her hand. I just pray over her and Michael's lives— but the baby more so. I know Lucy can't lose this one. Not like this. Not this late. And not after the year she's had.

"Wally?" I look up when I see Luke standing in the doorway almost an hour after I've arrived at the hospital. He must have used one of the First Family jets to get here so quickly. He walks over and hugs me. I know he's been terrified.

"Come on. She's fine," I move out of the way as he rushes to her side. "Did you talk to someone?"

"They told me that they're both okay," Luke moves a piece of Lucy's hair behind her ear. "That Mike has a mild concussion. I've talked to his mom. They're moving him into Lucy's room soon. I know she'll want him in here when they wake up."