Chapter 9

Chapter 9
August 2018

Lucy

When I open my eyes I can hardly remember what was real and what wasn't.

I remember picking Mikey up from the airport and then him yelling for me to watch out. I hardly remember the ambulance and police getting there. I remember Mikey passing out. And then nothing.

I thought for sure that I was dead. I just knew I was going to die. But as long as my baby I lived I'd die happy.

But that wasn't the case. God was keeping me from feeling the worst of the pain. He kept me sleep so that I could heal under His touch and His love. Without experiencing any pain.

When I woke up the only thing I felt was relief when I say Luke's face. "Boyd," I smile what I know is a droopy smile. "You're back from Atlanta. I've missed you."

"Lucy," Luke hugs me. "Thank You, Father God," he kisses me. "It took you long enough to wake up, Lucy."

"Yeah. I was side swiped. And Mikey hit his head on the dashboard and fainted like a little bitch. I got a whole baby in me and I ain't pass out." I suck my teeth.

"Fuck you, Lucy. I had a lot of shit going on when I passed out." I look behind Luke to see Mikey on a hospital bed across the room.

"Negro, I ain't taking you nowhere ever again and I ain't ever picking you up," I roll my eyes. "I was supposed to be getting dicked down tonight not run down." I say and Mikey and Luke laugh.

"How you awake up annoying?" Luke kisses me again before kissing my stomach. "I'm happy the both of you are okay."

"What's our damage?" I ask, hoping to carry this baby full term.

"Healthy as ever. No high blood pressure. No bumps or bruises. Nor harm to the baby. It's a blessing from God. A complete blessing." Luke smiles.

"What about Mikey? Why he looking good over there like handsome Squidward when he got hit in the face with the door?" I ask and we all laugh.

"Fuck you, Lucy," Mikey laughs. "I woke up about twenty minutes before you. I had a concussion from when my head apparently hit the dashboard. I can't really remember much. I just remember calling Luke and Wally. That's it. Oh and my mom. But not much else."

My vision finally clears so I can see Momma J on the other side of Mikey's bed.

"Is everyone here? Where's Lola? Why isn't she in here?" I ask as I continue looking around the room. Besides Luke and Momma J, no one else is in the room.

"I'll go get them." Momma J says before leaving the room.

"Did the doctor say how long it was before I could have sex?" I ask and they laugh. "Y'all laughing but I'm serious. The drugs they got me on have me loopy, high, and horny."

They laugh again and this time I laugh with them as our families make their way into the very large room. It's probably unsafe how many people are in the room but we have never cared much for safety or logic when it comes to those that we love.

Kim, RJ, JJ, and my mom and dad cry when they see how bruised I probably am. Being damn near white makes any bruises stand out even more.

"Don't cry," I say with a smile. Luke helps me sit up when I struggle to do so on my own. "Come here, Bunny."

My baby girl runs to get into the bed with me.

"Ma, you hurt?" Lola asks as she cuddles into my side. Her tiny hand finds its way to my stomach.