Chapter 40: A National Treasure

Start from the beginning

Riley unfolded the cloth from over the sword and revealed its beauty. She held the sword high up in the air and let the light flooding in from the windows at the top of the hall, shimmer and reflect off the Crystalline blade. Riley admired her work for a few moments as she held it up in the air.

The room of contestants gasped at the brilliant crystal blade. Everyone admired how beautiful it was and eagerly anticipated what it could do.

At that moment, Lavinia was being escorted back into the Great Mage Hall by the butlers, since she had woken up from he fainting spell. Lavinia was still a bit fragile and weary, seeing as she had never had things go this badly for her in her life. She had always gotten what she wanted. Things had always gone her way. So she was still finding it incomprehensible that she had been disqualified from the exam.

Lavinia was distracted from her thoughts when she saw a beautiful shimmering blade being held up on the air. The blade was translucent and yet it shimmered and reflected different fantastic bright colors around the room. It was truly breathtaking and Lavinia couldn't help but stare at it. Then Lavinia looked down to see who was holding it. In an instant the smile vanished from her face as she realized that this was Lady Riley's artifact, Lavinia suddenly started to feel queasy again...

Riley then turned to the judges, "May I ask for some volunteers to help me demonstrate its ability?" Riley would need a person of each different magic style to show that the artifact was capable of amplifying magic of each type.

"You may use me." Geoffrey said as he got up from his seat and walked towards her. Riley gulped nervously, not expecting the prince's sudden gesture.

The other contestants whispered at the unusual turn of events. It was almost unheard of for a judge to be used as a volunteer for a an exam...

"Uh okay..." she said dumbly.

Riley then handed the prince the sword. Prince Geoffrey swung the sword through the air and was pleasantly surprised at how light it was. He could tell that it was a blade of high quality, but then again any blade made of Crystalline would have to be considered high quality.

"What now?" He asked Riley with an amused smile on his face.

"Umm, now just cast one of you weaker magical spells with the sword, keeping in mind what type of power your spell would usually produce, and comapre it to how much the sword amplifies it" Riley directed.

The prince obeyed and casted a wind spell. "Falling breeze." He chanted calmly.

Suddenly the air pressure in the room went wild and a sickeningly large gust of wind hurtled around the room as if a giant storm was about to erupt inside the Great Hall. The magnificent bout of wind stormed through the hall and whipped hats and wigs off of peoples heads, it even managed to knock a few people right off their feet before completely shattering the large stained glass windows of the hall.

The other contestants stood dead still, their mouths hanging wide open with complete shock and awe. They had never seen anything like this ever, such incredible magical prowess.

The prince stood completely still for a moment before letting out a wicked and mischievous laugh, a greedy grin spread onto his lips and his golden eyes flowed with power.

Without being told what to do next, the prince used a different kind of magic for his next spell.

"Lightning spear!" A great bolt of lighting split from the end of the sword and crashed out of the hall, through the same window that had been shattered by the previous spell, into a large oak tree outside, completely disintegrating it. The path that the bolt of lightning traveled was marked by pitch black scorch marks across the marble floor.