“I would, but…” Julie dropped her gaze to the carpet. “I don’t have any money…”

“I know,” Jason said. “Look, I… I don’t want you to take this the wrong way, but I’d like to give you some… You and Derek took me in when I had nothing, and we’re family, after all, so…”

“I…” Julie hesitated. She needed clothes. She had nothing but the jeans and T-shirt she was wearing, and she couldn’t go back to get her things. “I’ll pay you back. I swear. Even if it takes me awhile…”

“You don’t have to,” Jason shook his head.

“I’m not taking your charity, Jason,” Julie said firmly, cheeks burning. “I’ll pay you back every cent.”

“Okay,” Jason nodded. “Let’s go, then.”

-

 Julie fidgeted in front of the full-length mirror. It was a long time since she’d seen herself in anything except the bathroom mirror, which only showed the bruises on her face and neck, aiding her in covering them up whenever she needed to look presentable. It was a whole other thing to see her body in the dress she’d decided to try on.

It was a simple dress, with short sleeves and a V-neck, the material loose and the skirt ending just below her knees, but as she turned, she could see the faded bruises on her arms – arms that were skinnier than she remembered them to be. She pulled the dress over her head and looked at the bigger bruises on her thighs, stomach and back.

Julie bit back a sob as she looked at herself properly. What kind of person does this to another human being? What kind of person lets herself be treated this way? Her head now filled with blame and guilt, Julie pulled her jeans and T-shirt back on. She couldn’t stand to look at herself anymore.

She left the dressing room, hung up the dress she’d tried on and picked out a long skirt that looked about her size, a pair of jeans one size smaller than the pair she had on, a couple of long-sleeved shirts and a tunic. She also got a pair of pajamas and some new underwear. She cringed at the tally, and even more so when she handed the cashier some of the bills that Jason had given her. She’d pay him back. Someday.

“Did everything go okay?” Jason asked as she walked out of the store and over to the little bench where he was waiting for her.

“Yeah,” Julie nodded. “Fine. Did you get what you came for?” she looked over at the bags by his feet.

“Almost. We just have to make a quick stop at the market for groceries, and then we’ll be off,” he smiled and rose from the bench.

“Good,” Julie said quietly and followed him towards the parking lot outside the little mall.

-

“Hungry?” Jason asked as they’d finished unloading the groceries.

“I’m fine,” Julie shrugged. Truth was, she didn’t have much of an appetite. Her stomach, however, seemed to disagree and growled.

“I’m going to take that as a yes,” Jason smiled and went to wash his hands. “If you want, you can take a nap or shower or something while I get started on dinner.”

“Oh, no, I… you shouldn’t have to cook,” Julie objected.

“I don’t mind,” Jason smiled reassuringly. “But if you want, you can help?”

“Um… sure,” Julie agreed.

“Great,” he said and started looking through the cupboards, drawers and, finally, the broom closet. “Aha!” he exclaimed in triumph and pulled out two full-length aprons.