Chapter 5

Author's Note: Picture on the side is Jason in an apron (but imagine the hair like pictured in previous chapters).

______________

The house sat on a large lot secured by a private gated entrance, with its own pier and boathouse. Julie stepped onto the gravel driveway, taking in the salty air, the glistening waterway and the towering oaks. It was a two-story house, with a balcony, and she could only imagine the view to be spectacular from there.

“Jason… this place is gorgeous,” she said, unable to take her eyes off the house.

“Yeah, my grandpa loved architecture. He designed this house himself – and built it, too. But I think my mom was the one who did most of the interior design.”

“She…?” Julie bit her lip. She didn’t want Jason to think she was being nosy.

“My mom passed away when I was a teenager,” Jason explained. “My grandparents had already left the property to me, and stipulated that until I turned 21, a caretaker would make sure the place was well taken care of in the event of their death. Well, it just so happened I spent my 21st in jail, but I’m here now, so…”

“They didn’t leave it to your mom?” Julie asked before she could stop herself. It sounded odd that his maternal grandparents would cut their daughter out of their will.

“They didn’t approve of the man she married,” Jason shrugged.

“Derek’s uncle?” Julie guessed.

“Yeah. Come on, I’ll show you the house,” Jason said and gestured towards the front door.

After her mini-tour, Julie was even more impressed. The place was modernly decorated, light and airy. The first floor bedrooms were connected by a Jack n’ Jill bathroom, and Julie guessed these were meant for children and teenagers.  The bottom floor also had a master bedroom with an en suite bathroom, a dining room, a kitchen, and a Florida Room with a wet bar and a fireplace. On the top floor there was a living room and connecting sun deck, a small office, and a master bedroom with a walk-in closet and an en suite bathroom.

“I was thinking you could take the upstairs, if that’s all right?” Jason said. “Unless you’d feel more comfortable downstairs?”

Julie thought about how an intruder would hit the bottom floor first and shuddered. She’d feel much safer on the top floor, but was that fair to Jason?

“Julie?” he questioned, clearly having noticed her discomfort.

“Either way is fine by me,” she said meekly. “I won’t stay long, I promise.”

“You’re welcome to stay as long as you need,” Jason said patiently. “And I’d really like for you to be comfortable here.”

Julie looked around the Florida Room they were currently standing in. How could she not be comfortable surrounded by such beautiful things? It wasn’t just something out of a magazine; the house had a home-y feel to it, too. How sad that she would have to leave this place soon.

Self-consciously, Julie glanced down at her T-shirt and jeans – clothes that Jason had gone out and bought for her while she was in the hospital. He’d guessed her size, and hadn’t been off by much, but she felt awkward not having any of her own clothes. Not that they were all that fancy – she usually shopped at the bargain store – but they were still hers.

“I was thinking…” Jason said tentatively, running a hand over his head, “… I need to get some supplied at the store anyway, and I thought you might like to get some new clothes…”