chapter fourteen

Rebecca-

"Why didn't you tell me you saw Jake? I thought you said it was just the team." Will said aggressively as I got in the car on Monday morning. I had successfully avoided him all of yesterday, but he knew he would have me on the way to school.

"I don't have to-" I started, hoping he would let it go, but he cut me off before I could even finish.

"Don't start that shit with me, Rebecca. I'm still me, and I still care about you. You still live at my house." He pushed to start his car.

"It wasn't a big deal. Luke handled it. Kasey thought it was going to just be the team, but when we got there it wasn't." He put the car in drive and began to pull out of the driveway.

"Alright. As long as you're okay."

"I'm fine, Will." He looked straight ahead and turned up the music. It was his usual, classical.

"I still wanna kill that kid.." He mumbled as he drove. I didn't react.

"Dawson is coming home today. He should be home around 1. Are you going to practice after school?" My heart began to beat faster. Thinking about going to practice sounded good in the idea. But actually talking to everyone, sounded less fun.

"It's just a workout. I'm not sure. Dawson wanted to meet with me for something about the building." Will pulled into Mackenzie's driveway and let out a sigh.

"Oh right. I forgot. That seems like so long ago.. Well, let me know when you need a ride home." I nodded slowly, glad that we were getting along. I wasn't sure how things were going to be between us, but it seemed good so far. Mackenzie walked out of her house instantly, as usual, dressed in jeans and a black sweater underneath her winter coat. She wore a smile as she got in the car.

"Good morning!" I turned and gave her a small smile.

"Morning." Will and I said in unison. I turned back forward in my seat. There was a few seconds of silence before Will turned the music down and began to talk.

"How's Addison's drama?" He asked, looking in the rear view mirror at Mackenzie. She groaned from the backseat.

"Annoying. Damon couldn't even find the words to explain to her what happened. She fell for it. They're fine now. The usual." Will chuckled. Mackenzie continued to rant. "I just don't understand why it has to be my problem, really. Like, why me?" I smiled to myself, remembering when I used to be like that.

I caught myself. Be like what? Happy? I needed to be better. I needed to try harder. The car was mostly quiet the rest of the drive to school, Mackenzie and Will talking every so often. It was my first day back. I could do this. Even without Will, even though I never thought I would have to.

We pulled into the school lot and I walked inside alone. People looked and whispered, and I felt uncomfortable, but not as bad as before. I was okay, I had to be okay. Kasey was at my locker when I got there, smiling wide and holding a paper bag.

"Hi! Welcome back! I brought you a muffin. Chocolate chip." I gave her a small smile.

"Thanks. You're the best." I opened my locker, barely remembering the code.

"So, how are things with Will?" She asked quietly. People brushed past us busily in the hallway.

"They're okay. We've been getting along." I told her. I took a textbook out of my backpack and pushed it into my locker. "I don't know if I'm gonna go to the workout today. I have a meeting with coach during lunch, and I have to deal with some of the company stuff after school." I looked at Kasey as I finished putting things into my locker. She was smiling wide.

"What?" I raised an eyebrow at her.

"I'm so happy you're back. I'm so happy you're happy." I rolled my eyes and shut my locker.

"Come on." We walked towards class as the bell rang.

Before lunch I had tried to convince myself to go to the cafeteria and sit with my friends. However, I soon remembered that I didn't even know where I would fit in the lunch table scenario anymore. I started with a hopefully quick visit to Mrs. White's before I had to meet with coach. Her office was just the same as before.

"Becca! I'm so glad you're here." She gave me a warm smile and a one armed hug.

Hi, Mrs. White." I gave her a smile back.

"So you're staying with the Mercer's right?" I bit my lip as I sat down in the chair.

"Yeah. They accepted legal guardianship." She seemed genuinely happy to talk to me, and I wondered if she had always cared about me this much and I had just been too obsessed with my own issues to care.

"Good, I'm sure that makes Will very happy." I shrugged. She seemed confused. "Are you and Will not on good terms right now?"

"We're civil." She didn't pry, she knew I didn't want to keep talking about it.

"That's all I can hope for." Her lips upturned to a smile. I noticed new photographs on her desk, a puppy. "So you're going to have weekly meetings with Dr. Lord correct?" She asked hopefully. I nodded in response before I explained my plans for the rest of the semester. She was such a good person, and it made me feel guilty for pushing her away for so long, she truly did care about me.

——

Will's dad picked me up from school. We had a meeting with Mckenzie's dad at the Birch building. It was the final day of paperwork to sell Birch Industries.

We made small talk on the drive downtown. He asked me about the hospital, school, my plans for next year. It was nice to talk to him, I didn't much.

The building was just as I remembered, I'd avoided it since the accident. Mr. Mercer was kind as we went inside.

"Everything okay?" I nodded and smiled in return. We took the elevator up and I could feel people looking at me in the lobby.

I checked in at the desk, not really sure what I was supposed to do and waited in a seat next to Mr. Mercer. I had spent so much time here as a kid, but now it just felt strange.

Soon I was led into an office where Mckenzie's dad, Dave my lawyer, and a few other people I didn't know by name were waiting.

"Hello, Rebecca." Dave said as I sat down. I was thankful it didn't seem to be my dads old office. I smiled. "You're sure this is what you want to do?" I knew that what I was doing was a big deal, and a lot of people probably were angry about it. But I couldn't own a company I played no role in. A company I had no interest or knowledge in. As sad as it was, it seemed like it had to be done.

Mckenzie's dad, who was introduced as John Carson seemed worried. I tried not o pry, I just wanted this to be over. I didn't want to think about it anymore.

He pulled into the driveway and got out. We went inside the house and I waved and smiled before going upstairs, I just needed time to myself. The day hadn't felt long until the meeting.

Will knocked and opened my door.

"Hey. Dawson said you might wanna talk." I shrugged in response, he was nice.

"I'm okay. Does Dawson know we broke up?" He shrugged as well and put his hand on my knee.

"Let me know if you need anything." I smiled.

"Thanks." He got up and walked out the door, clearly feeling unwelcome and leaving me alone in my silent room.