chapter twelve

Rebecca-

The uber stopped in front of Will's driveway.

"Thank you." I told the driver, dragging Will out of the car.

He sent me a smile and Will practically fell onto the driveway. I slammed the car door, Will leaning on my shoulder, and we headed towards the house.

When we got to the door, I fumbled for my keys, even more difficult when I was Will's only source of strength to stand up. He was grinning, almost giggling at me.

"I'm so happy you're here. I'm so happy you came out." He said, attempting to hug me unsuccessfully. I finally got the key in the door and pushed it open. I led Will inside as quietly as possible and helped him take his shoes off. He let out a long sigh and I looked up at him, pressing my finger against my lips in a 'shh' motion. I dragged him up the stairs, quiet as possible for him, and went into his room.

"Get in bed, Will. It's late." He sat down and began to take off his jeans.

"Thank you, Beck. You're the best." I smiled at him.

"I'm not doing anything. Come on, get ready for bed." I moved my hands in a motion that signaled urgency. He peeled his shirt off, leaving him in just his boxers and drunkenly climbed under the blankets.

"Will you sleep with me? It's my birthday." He begged with his eyes shut.

"Not tonight, Will." He groaned lightly and rolled over. "I love you." I said quietly, raising my voice a few octaves for effect.

"I love you too." He looked at me over his shoulder and smiled wide, letting out a sigh. "Wish I was holding you right now." He turned back over. He convinced me with another sigh.

I laid down next to him, wrapping my arm around his chest as he rolled onto his back and pushed his arm underneath me. I laid my head on his shoulder. He had a small smile as he closed his eyes.

"Goodnight, Becks. I love you."

"Goodnight, Will. Happy Birthday."

I woke up the next morning in Will's bed and slightly sweaty. I remembered that I was still wearing jeans as I uncomfortably rolled over to look at the time. My contacts made my vision blurry, I attempted to rub them clear without messing up my leftover makeup. It was 6:23am. I had only gone to sleep 3 and a half hours ago. For some reason, I felt wide awake.

I reached for my phone blindly, knowing it was somewhere on the nightstand. I grabbed it and pushed the screen on. My contacts were dry and giving up, I set the phone down to take them out. I blinked a few times until my vision was normal.

I pushed the power button again, and I quickly realized the phone wasn't mine.

Jennifer
4:02am

You go home with Becca? Or are you still here? I have a birthday present for you😏😏

My heart sank. It shattered. It completely broke into one thousand pieces and I could feel my breath quicken. I threw the blankets back and practically ran to my own room, picking up the pill bottle off the counter and taking 2. I looked in the mirror for a split second before shutting my eyes tight and breathing in and out, trying to hold back tears. It wasn't working, I pushed my eyes tighter together.

"Becca?" It was Will's voice. "What's wrong? Did you have a nightmare? Are you okay?" I was trying so hard not to cry that I screamed instead.

"YOU ARE THE NIGHTMARE AND I CAN'T SEEM TO EVER WAKE UP." I yelled as I turned to face him, my voice crackling with emotion and tears falling rapidly down my face. He stepped towards me and I took two steps back, painfully and loudly hitting my head on the shower door. I shut my eyes in pain, tears still falling. "Don't come near me." I managed.

"What are you talking about?" He asked quietly. I heaved, trying to catch my breath and trying to ease my tears.

"Jennifer. You- your phone." I shut my eyes tight again, my head spinning. His eyebrow furrowed. He took another step towards me and repeated my name.

"GET AWAY." I screamed again, slamming my head, again into the door. I sank to the floor in pain, bawling at this point. I covered my face with my hands and pushed my eyes closed so tight I saw red. I heard more voices, Will's parents. Then I heard nothing.