chapter three

Rebecca

I somehow managed to sleep soundly. Being angry at Will had pushed out the nightmares. I woke up at seven with Jake still next to me. He was still on top of my comforter but underneath a throw blanket he must have gotten from my closet. I nudged him awake, he would be late for school but I had already decided I wasn't going. He rubbed his eyes and turned gently.

"Hi. I'm sorry, I must've fallen asleep."

"No, thank you. I appreciate it." I paused and he seemed to be dazed looking at me. "It's seven. Sorry I didn't wake you up earlier I just woke up. This is the latest I've slept in months." He sat up on his elbows.

"It's okay. Wanna go to breakfast or something?" I looked at him, confused. My door opened.

"Are you coming to- oh. I didn't. I didn't realize, I'm sorry I." It was Will, stuttering and shocked to find Jake in my bed. He had turned himself around but was standing just outside the door.

"Will, man. I'm not even under the blankets, relax. You asked me to come check on her and I fell asleep. No harm done, promise." Jake was standing up, clearly not fully understanding the dynamic. Will turned around, I ignored him and picked up my phone. I had missed a call from Dr. Lord and he had texted me a couple times asking if I was alright. He said if he hadn't heard from me by tomorrow he was going to call the police. He was always a little jumpy. Will and Kasey had also texted me dozens of times, but I had been too busy crying and wanting to die to notice. I looked up to notice Jake and Will both staring at me.

"I don't want to talk to you, Will." He was fumbling with his hands.

"That's fine, Beck. I was just seeing if you were coming to school today."

"I'm not. And don't bother picking me up for school again."

"Okay. When you're less pissed at me and want to talk about things let me know." He looked disappointed, and it hurt me to hurt him. But he deserved it. He had hurt me worse than I could handle. Worse than even I deserved.

"Please leave." I said as I pulled the blankets back and began to sit up. He nodded.

"I love you, Becca." He paused, I wasn't sure what he was waiting for. "I'll see you later." I didn't say anything and he left. I knew he wasn't going to give up, at least not for awhile. Even though I was mad, I still could stand him, and it still felt good for someone to care.

"If you're not going, I'm not going." Jake said firmly, smiling wide.

"I don't know if that's a good idea. It's your second day.. You're supposed to be having fun not slumming it with the school crazy girl." I chuckled almost and stood.

"Nobody thinks you're crazy. I've asked about you." I scoffed at him.

"You don't have to lie. I see the looks and hear the whispers." He looked slightly guilty.

"People talk, but nobody is too harsh. People seem pretty understanding around here.. I'm sorry about your family, Rebecca. They were so great." The thought of Jack, Aidan, and my dad being alive made me smile. I didn't think about them in a happy way very often. "If you need to talk. I can listen. I remember being a pretty good listener to all your 7th grade problems." He was trying to make me smile, and was being successful.

"Maybe later. I'm kind of tired. Rain check." He looked disappointed, but understood.

"Okay. You're probably right, I should go to school. Do you need anything before I go?" I sat back down, not knowing why I was standing to begin with and shook my head, no. It reminded me the reason he came in the first place and all of a sudden I needed to sleep all over again. He studied me as I pulled the blankets over my body and got cozy beneath them. "I'll come by after school." I didn't say anything and he shut the door behind him. Where the hell was he four months ago? Well that was harsh. Will was like this in the beginning too.