chapter eight

Will-

Becca chose not to have a funeral.

"Who would come?" she had said. She was right, who would  come that mattered? The only people she wanted was her family, and they were gone too.

The past few weeks had been rough. Before, she had seemed to take a few small steps forward, but all progress had been lost in that time.  Her mother's death somehow seemed to remind her of the hurt I had caused her as well, and she refused to talk to me too. I had seen her around school talking to Jake and Kasey, and I was glad. I was also pissed.

She didn't have to talk to me. I hurt her, and that was my fault. But I missed her, I missed her presence in my life. We hadn't spoke more than a few words to each other in days. It felt like old times, right after the accident, but I had to be glad she was talking to someone, even if it wasn't me.

I was sitting in study hall, scrolling through twitter on my phone and listening to music. My friends were being obnoxious in the back, where I usually sat, but I wasn't in the mood today. My phone buzzed.

Becca: Hey. Will you teach me to drive afterschool?

The hairs on my arms raised. We had never once talked about her driving again. To my knowledge, she had never even thought of driving again. She had her license, but had refused to touch a gas pedal since the accident. I answered with slight jealousy.

Me: Okay. You didn't ask Jake?

Becca: He said that he didn't think it would be fair to you. Told me no, so did Kasey & Luke...

I smiled a little bit to myself at how great my friends were, but not much because she had asked everyone she spoke to before me. I mean, she hadn't really talked to me in weeks, so this was pretty surprising to begin with. Jake had been giving her rides home, but I still got the ten minutes in the morning. My mom had volunteered me to bring Mckenzie to school everyday, so I didn't really have a chance to start a conversation with Becca.

Me: Okay. No practice tonight. Meet at home?

Becca: Can you give me a ride home? Or will you be too busy with Jenny in the back seat?

Although she was roasting me, it reminded me of the humor she used to have, and gave me a small sense of hope that maybe she would be okay again. Eventually.

Me: Meet you at my car.

Jenny had been leaving me alone, but I had heard rumors of her doing pretty bad, blaming herself for hurting Becca. I knew it was my fault for hurting her, but I had been doing this too long to beat myself up so bad. I felt like shit for hurting her, but I knew Becca would've taken those pills anyways.

The bell rang and I stood up, taking one earpod out of my ear to walk down the hallway. I was feeling excited for school to be over to get to see Becca. I sat down at my usual lunch table in my spot next to Luke.

"Hey dude." Luke slapped my shoulder in greeting.

"Hey."

"Did Becca talk to you yet?" He sat down next to me, Kasey and Jake across from me. They seemed invested in my answer as well.

"She texted me last period. Asked me to go driving with her." I answered blankly.

"I was shocked when she asked me to teach her. Seems like she really didn't want to ask you, but we all told her no." Kasey said, laughing a little.

"She hasn't talked to me in a week or two. Thanks for saying no, guys. I would have been fucking pissed.." They all smiled and it got quiet until Jake spoke.