chapter ten

Will-
January 17th

Becca was supposed to get out in a week, but they had called last night to postpone. I had tried calling dozens of times, but they always told me she didn't have phone privileges. We had spent the rest of her time home hanging out and watching movies, mostly relaxing and hanging out with Chase or my parents. We didn't discuss out relationship. We kissed a little and that was it. My parents bought her a new laptop for Christmas, and she was bummed she wouldn't be able to use it, after the initial 'you really didn't have to' phase. She felt guilty for not getting anyone anything, even though we all understood, and the next day we went to the mall to shop for everyone. She bought me a new Hermes belt, and my mom a YSL clutch, and some type of fancy pen for my dad. She somehow was the perfect gift giver, and my parents loved it.

I really needed to see her. I was trying to not resort to drinking or smoking, like she had begged me for two nights in a row, but after her postponement it was getting tough.

I had just picked Mckenzie up, we had become decent friends in a mentor kind of way from our short car rides to school.

"One week until Becca is back for good!" She said when she got in. I looked at her, frowning.

"Nope. Postponed to be decided..." She looked at me sadly.

"I'm sorry, Will. I know how excited you are."

"I'm just worried. They won't tell us what happened so I don't know if she's dying or just needs to be watched an extra couple days. They won't let me talk to her." I told her, ranting a bit.

"You can't visit?" She asked.

"No. She came home for Christmas instead of getting visit days, which seemed like a good idea then. We finished her room though." She smiled.

"Nice. She's going to be okay, Will." I shrugged, hoping she would be.

When I pulled into my parking spot Luke was standing next to it, Kasey and Jack Baren calming him down, attempting to at least. I opened my car door.

"What? What's going on?" Luke blew up.

"Ready to kill this dude?" Luke said, breaking from Kasey's grip. I looked at them, confused. "I'm gonna fucking kill him, Will."

"Kill who? What happened?"

"Jake." Luke said, stopping there. "Are you coming or what?" He looked angrier than I had ever seen in my life.

"What did he do?" I didn't like Jake much, but mostly out of jealousy. I couldn't really see him doing anything wrong, he was nice.

"He fucking raped her, Will. That fucking prick." My mind wasn't processing the situation.

"Calm down, Luke." Kasey tried.

"Raped who, Luke?" Luke looked up at me.

"Becca, dude. Let's go fucking kill this kid." My heart dropped and immediately started racing. Luke was right, I wanted to fucking kill Jake.

"Will, don't do something you guys are gonna regret, come on. Its possible this is all just a misunderstanding." Kasey said, trying to convince us otherwise. I saw Mckenzie head into the school. Kasey was wrong, I would never regret it if I killed him. Not if he hurt her. Not if he did this. I slammed my car door shut.

"Let's go."

Rebecca-

I woke up at 7:00, tired but wanting to run. We weren't allowed outside before dawn or after dusk, so I had to wait each day until the sun came up. I felt like all I was ever doing at this place was waiting for the sun to rise. There was a note under my door in scrawly handwriting.