A Shoulder To Cry On

Word Count: 470

Pairings: Lucifer Morningstar x Reader

Warnings: angst, sadness

A/N: Feel free to drop me a request, and enjoy the story! Also this was a story I forgot to actually publish, it's just a short drabble and I just realized I saved it but never posted it😅

Summary: He might not have understood your attachment to the small creature, or why you were grieving so much. But he was there for you whatever the reason.

……………………………………………………

“Y/N!”

You glanced over at the door as it flew open. Lucifer wasn’t known for knocking and that normally didn’t bother you but today was different. Today you didn’t want to be around someone so naturally happy and carefree. Today you didn’t want to be happy.

“There you are! Did you turn your phone off? I’ve been trying to call for hours.”

You motioned lazily to where your phone sat on coffee table.

“It died.” You muttered.

Lucifer frowned as he got closer to where you were seated on the couch. He looked around at the used tissues scattered around the floor, then at your puffy red eyes.

“Have you been….crying?”

He approached you cautiously, as if you were a deer he was trying not to scare away.

“No. I’m sweating from my eyeballs.” You replied dryly.

Lucifer raised an eyebrow at your snarky response.

“Well someone is certainly in a mood today.” He teased.

You turned to look at him, frowning. You had to remind yourself not to get mad at him. He didn’t know what was wrong, or what had happened.

“I’m not ‘in a mood’, my dog just died Lucifer.”

He stared at you a moment, furrowing his eyebrows.

“You’re mourning because of a fur covered creature passing away?”

If he was trying to hide the disbelief in his voice he was doing a poor job of it. You glared at him angrily.

“Yes Lucifer. It was my dog! My baby, that I loved! People tend to cry when they lose the things they love.” You snapped.

You felt yourself about to cry again and so you turned your head away from him. Lucifer stood there, awkwardly for a moment. You pulled your knees to your chest, letting the tears fall freely.

“Y/N… I didn’t…”

Lucifer closed his mouth, seemingly deciding against finishing his sentence. He sat down beside you, reaching a hand out. He quickly pulled it back though, as if he thought you might bite him. He instead handed you a tissue, and only when you gave him a small smile did he wrap an arm around you.

“I apologize darling, I didn’t realize how much your pet meant to you.”

“It’s fine Luci, I know you didn’t mean anything by it.”

Lucifer held you in silence for a while. He didn’t know how to comfort you, he didn’t even fully understand why this was so upsetting for you. But it was something important to you and so he was determined to be there for you however, he could.

“If it helps, as cliche as this may sound, all dogs really do go to heaven. And I’m sure you gave them the greatest life they could have ever lived.”

You smiled, leaning against his shoulder as you stared at the picture of your dog.