I Could Maybe Love You, But I Can't Stand You

Everything was great. Life was like the happy ending of a good movie. So, naturally, I was skeptical. Something had to go wrong. Perfection doesn't like to stick around very long, and happiness just doesn't like me. 

A week later, everything came to a screeching hault. 

Dan was an absolute pain to live with. He was always moping around complaining about one thing, then, a few minutes later, something else. Any time he wasn't moping, he was drunk. He was not the happy, giggly drunk. Dan Keyes was the most arrogant and demanding drunk in all of Los Angeles. It made me miss him being stone cold.

I went out with Gabe as much as I could to escape the horrors of the giant occupying my home. I almost felt bad for leaving him alone until I would come home and he would be crashed on the floor in a hallway. 

Amazingly, I still wanted him.

I sat at the dinner table, nodding mindlessly as he ranted about things I didn't care about.

"He asked me where I went. He asked why I was gone." That sparked my interest.

"And what exactly did you tell him." I focused less on the food in front of me and more on the near stranger.

"I just said I was staying with a friend and that I don't plan on going back." I nodded again, my food regaining my attention. I started off into a world where people could marry foods. I concluded that the world would explode if that happened. I would be lying if I said I didn't imagine myself marrying pizza. Then, I imagined Dan taking the place of my beloved pizza. I didn't think I minded.

"Are you even listening anymore?" I snapped back to reality.

"No. I haven't been for a while." 

"Oh, sorry," he mumbled, pushing around the food on his plate. I immediately regretted saying that.

"No. No, I'm sorry. It's rude. I know. I should have been listening."

"It's fine, really. I get that you didn't care."

"No, Dan, I," I sighed and shook my head. I escaped from the tense dinner and went back to my wedding with Dan. I was about to say the famous 'I do', but the pizza interrupted. Dan and the pizza got into a fight. The pizza threated horrible grease stains, and Dan threatened to eat the adversary. The nonexistent guests (in)audibly gasped. Dan held the mangled pizza up in victory. I shook away from the throught and tried to remember what drugs I had taken in the past 24 hours.

"Do you think we should have pizza at our wedding instead of a cake?" I asked absent mindedly.

"Our what?" My own words finally processed. I panicked for a second, desperate for a cover-up.

"Our wedding as in my friends' wedding. I'm helping them plan it." Dan's face was still red with embarrassment.

"Oh, who's wedding?"

"Ry..er.. land and uh steph..acy," I responded more like question. Dan raised his eyebrows but shrugged it off. I wanted to punch myself in the face for being such an idiot. Despite my absolute stupidity, I still smiled down at my food because I was completely, madly infatuated with man in front of me. I could fall in love with those eyes.