Loyalty And Trust Are Things Of The Past

I woke up on the floor with a person draped over me. It was Dan. We were both clothed, so I couldn't imagine anything more than the kissing happened. I shifted out from underneath him, careful to not wake him. I felt bad for just leaving him on the floor. I thought for a moment before I decided he was dead asleep. I tucked my arms under his and dragged him to the nearest sofa. I forced his entire body onto the cushions before I sat on the floor, leaning against the sofa. 

My head felt like slush the entire time I was awake. My head pounded to the beat of my heart feeling like I was sitting on a stage with someone banging away at a drum set. I lied completely on the floor, curled up into a ball. 

Gabe obviously ditched this morning's hangover. I lied on the floor for quite a while just trying to convince myself that I needed to get up. When I eventually did, I headed for the bathroom in search of painkillers. Early on, I had found it was necessary to have painkillers and bottles of water in every bathroom for mornings like these. I rushed pills into my mouth to stop the pain. This was one of the few times I was not forced to deal with the pain as people talked to me.

After a while, the pain started to fade until it was just a minor headache. I tried to make myself look slightly decent when I saw my disgusting reflection in the mirror. My hair was in big tangled knots and I desperately needed to shave. My clothes were a wrinkled mess, adding to the trashed look. I krept up the stairs, careful of the noise I was making for Dan's sake. 

In an hour I had showered, shaved, and made myself look presentable. I needed to look good for my third first impression on Dan. I made my way back to the basement where the giant slept. The Advil was in my hand when I head a groan come from the couch in the other room. 

"Sleep well?" I asked, handing him a bottle of water and Advil.

"Some crazy ass dreams," he answered. He swallowed the pills and looked at me, obviously confused.

"What?" I furrowed my eyebrows. He winced at the volume of my voice. I didn't mean to be so loud.

"The pool game. Who won?" He closed his eyes again, maybe wishing he wasn't in so much pain. I didn't know what to tell him. Should I tell him the truth? You forfeited to kiss me even though sober you would have never done that.

"I did." It wasn't a lie. He forfeited. I won.

"You're just trying to make yourself look good." He smiled his lazy smile. Or was it his hungover smile? 

"Maybe I am. Maybe next time, don't drink so much. Then you could remember." I smirked.

"Yeah," he said as he looked around, "sorry for crashing on your couch." Don't worry. You didn't crash there. You crashed on me.

"No worries, man." Something about him made me always want to smile. He always looked content with everything, maybe even happy, so why shouldn't I.

"I'm kind of hungry. I should go." He sat upright on the couch.

"Theres plenty of food here. You should get over that killer hangover before you try to go anywhere." He looked hesitant, but he eventually nodded. "Just lie back down and I'll be back when breakfast is ready."

"Thank you, Ryan." He smiled while he did as I told.

"You're welcome, Dan." I smiled back. Friends. I had to remind myself to slow down. Just be a friend. Only a friend.

-

"We could do something today. Like hang out at a place," I suggested. I didn't want him to go so soon.

"I just want to go home, Ryan." I had at least talked him into letting me drive him home.

"Okay. Okay. Home." 

"Thank you." He had his head leaned to the the side while he had his arm resting on the door. He squinted his eyes trying to block out the brightness of the sunlight. I took the sunglasses hanging from the rearview mirror and handed them to him. They looked nice on him. The gold in the frames made his blonde hair look stunning. I had a hard time focussing on anything but him, making driving a difficult task.

"I'm sorry for the hassle," he apologized. I glanced at him. 

"It's fine, Dan. I really don't mind." The rest of the trip was silent. He'd look at whatever we were passing, and I would glance over at him as he did.

I pulled up to the house he had pointed to. I was jealous. I was jealous of the people that were in his life that existed away from me. 

"Thanks for the ride." He looked almost guilty as he left the car.

"Just call me if you ever want to hang out." He smiled and nodded. I was pulling away when a man exited the house and wrapped his arms around Dan. I may have even saw a shared kiss. So, Dan wasn't as loyal as he seemed.