Chapter 30: Arnab

Start from the beginning

"Are you ready?" is all he said, "Because I think we should get going. The King can't be too far away from us."

"I'm ready," I stood up, dusting sand off my pants, "Whenever you are.

We headed up the mountain, following a trail hewn into its rock. The path was old, the edges crumbling.

"Watch!" I yelled as Cogaje put his weight on a weak spot. I grabbed him before he lost his balance.

"Thanks," he muttered. "Keep to a foot or so away from the edge," he said, glancing down.

My heart slowed down as I knew he was fine.

We held on to each other for stability, taking careful steps up the path. As we wound up, the path grew narrower until Cogaje was forced to walk behind me because there wasn't enough space

"I just hope the King helps us," I said.

"Well, even if he doesn't, you still have your wish to the deities."

"Oh," I said, "I forgot about that. But I'd rather keep that wish for later, in case I need it for something."

Cogaje nodded. "That's what I was thinking," he said as we passed a dark cave. I felt dizzy as I went by it, thinking back to the nest and Eggs. A cold draft blew out of it, carrying the smell of must and decay.

"I hope I never have to sit on Eggs again," I muttered.

"If it's up to me, you won't ever again."

"What's that," I pointed a few paces ahead. The mountain path widened and leveled out in the distance.

"Looks like a house or something," Cogaje said.

Out of the stone of the mountain, a small house was built.

"Let's go knock on the door," he said.

"Doesn't look like a castle to me," I held back ,"So it can't be the King's."

The Lizsard Prince pushed me on. "We've gotten this far," he said, "What's knocking on one door going to so?" but he looked pale even as he spoke, and his eyes had a wild and vigilant look to them. "Here," he said, "I'll knock and you keep watch."

"Okay," I said, holding my sword at an angle.

Cogaje knocked on the small wooden door that barely came up to his chest.

No one opened the door.

He knocked again, and muffled voice came from within.

"Coming, coming," it muttered, its voice raspy. "I'm coming.

The door opened and I burst out laughing.

"And what's so funny?" the small rabbit asked, arms akimbo.

"Nothing," I shook my head, "I was just expecting a big scary monster."

Cogaje smiled as the tension diffused.

"Nope," the little white rabbit shook its head, ear flopping over its eyes, "No scary monsters around here. I hate scary monsters." The rabbit looked up at Cogaje, then at me. "And can I do for you two? It's not every day that I have someone knocking on my door, you know."

The rabbit opened its door wider. "I'm Arnab. Come in and have some tea, won't you? And you two are?"

"We just have a question for you," I said.

The rabbit gave me a dejected look. "It gets so lonely being here," he said, "Come in, even if it's only for five minutes." Its little bunny ear flopped over its eyes again, and Arnab pushed it back up.

Cogaje and I looked at each other and shrugged. "Okay."

The Prince let me pass first, "I'm Mistlyn," I said, "And that's Cogaje."

The rabbit smiled and let us into its house.

"The outside is a bit ramshackle," Arnab said, "But at least the inside is cozy."

A warm fire sat comfortably in the fireplace, giving the room a cheery glow. Stockings hung above the fire, filled with sweets and home baked bread rolls.

"Care for some?" Arnab said, pulling down a stocking. "I hang them over the fireplace to keep them warm." Arnab limped over to us, giving us bread and butter and some tea. One of his legs was shorter than the other.

"I thought you don't need to eat if you're in death," I said, biting into a warm, fluffy roll.

"You don't," Arnab said cheerfully, "But it doesn't mean you can't." His little rabbit teeth sunk into a melting chocolate bar. "Ah," he said, "Nothing like warm chocolate." Arnab extended a plate to us, "Want some?"

I took a few chocolate drops, melting them on my bread roll. The warmth and sweetness was caressing.

"It's so good," I said, my mouth full.

"It is! It is!" Arnab said, smiling. "Now, you were saying you gave a question for me. What's your question?"

Cogaje swallowed the last of his bread and tea, licking his finger. "I wanted to ask how to get to the King."

Arnab leaned back in his seat. "The King of Gamblers, eh? Well," he folded his hands in his lap. "The King lives not too far from here."

"Where exactly?" I said.

"About halfway up the mountain. He's usually in a tan robe."

"So I just keep going up the mountain until we see a castle?"

"Oh no, not a castle. Just a man in a tan robe," the rabbit said.

"So keep going up the mountain until we see someone in a tan robe."

Arnab nodded.

Cogaje stood up. "Well, thanks for the bread and tea. We should get going now."

"Ah well, good to see you. Stop by again sometime. It really does get lonely being here."

"We will," I smiled, bending to hug Arnab. His warm fur tickled my neck as he hugged me back.

"I love Human children," he said, pulling back. "Now, off you go to find the King."

We left the rabbit house and continued up the mountain.

"He seems nice," I said.

Cogaje nodded, but his eyes seemed troubled, "All is not what it seems."

I looked back to the rabbit house after we had gone some paces up the mountain. It was no longer there.

"Where is it?" I cried out.

"Where's what?" Cogaje said, looking around.

"The rabbit house! It's gone!"

Cogaje looked down to where the house should've been. "All is not what it seems," he shook his head. "The Realm of Mote is known to for its trickery. Maybe we shouldn't have eaten anything from Arnab."

I swallowed a lump in my throat as I thought about the chocolate and bread. "I hope you're wrong," I said.

"I hope so too." The Prince's voice was soft.