Chapter 18: They want to Kill us

The desert heat imprisoned us in its venomous grip. Any wind that whispered around us blew up the sand into our eyes and face and nose, stinging and slapping us. No breeze was cool and refreshing; only angry and burning.

I kept licking my lips, but I had no spit. My throat felt layered in gravel.

"Are you going to get some water soon?" Cogaje said to Dinjn.

"Son, soon," the Jinn waved him off.

Cogaje looked at me, his face red and sweating. "Here," he said, pulling out a canteen from his pack. "I only have two of these, so use it carefully."

I took the water greedily. Gulping down the fluid, Cogaje grabbed it from my hand. "Carefully," he said, lowering his voice, "Somehow, I don't think they care if we die or not."

"They need us. And your gifts," I said.

Cogaje shook his head. "I thought the gifts would be enough to make sure they don't get us hurt, you know, like some sort of incentive, but now I'm rethinking it. I think once this Roc has its channels filled, they won't bother with us. I've been listening to them talk."

I looked sheepishly. "I haven't really been paying attention."

"I have. And I know a little of the Jinni language. And what I'm hearing isn't that good. I think they want to kill us."

"No!" I gasped. "Kill us?"

"What are you two whispering about back there?" Majnoon growled.

"It's hot and I'm thirsty," I said.

"You'll get your water soon. Now, stop chatting so much."

Cogaje stopped talking, but I noticed him now paying deeper attention to what the Jinns were saying. Shadows kept passing over his face.

That cold feeling presses against my arm again, slithering around my torso. It stayed there for a minute before leaving me again.

"I keep getting these cold chills," I said, shivering.

The heat of the desert soon warmed me again.

"You too?" Cogaje looked at me.

I nodded. "Around my arm and chest."

"I keep getting the feeling around my chest, too. I wonder what it is."

"Don't know," I said, "But at least it cools us down, even if it's for only a few minutes."

The Lizsard Prince nodded, but his eyebrows were furrowed. "Something doesn't seem right," he said.

"It's like something's following us," I whispered, looking around at the heavy dunes. "But I don't see anything."

"Just because we don't see it doesn't mean it's not here."

I chewed on my lower lip, my palms sweating. And the sweat wasn't just because of the desert heat.

"We'll just keep walking and see what happens. But keep your senses alert."

"I think whatever's following can bypass our senses," I said.

Prince Cogaje gave me a solemn look. "I think you're right."

The wind picked up manically, making the sand dance around me. The particulates pressed against me, like a coffin. The sand went into my nose and ears. I choked as I coughed up sand and spit.

"Put your head down," Cogaje yelled over the howling wind. "Here," he said, pulling out the peacock feather shawl from my bag, "Wrap this around you head and face."

The Prince tied the shawl over my face.

"How are you two doing back there?" Dinjn called out. He threw us two black blindfolds. "Put that over your nose and mouth," he screamed over the wind.

Cogaje took the two bandanas, wrapping them around his head so one covered his nose and the other one lay over his mouth. His eyes were still unprotected, with only his arm to block out some of the whipping sand.

I found it harder to walk, the wind pushing me back. It was as if the desert Herself was telling me to stay back.

"Get down!" Prince Cogaje pushed me to the ground, pushing my head down. "Cover your eyes with your arms and keep your head down."

I could barely hear him over the lion's roar of the wind. Like a thousand and one needles stabbing me, sand sliced my flesh. The Lizsard Prince and I huddled together, the three Jinns in their own group.

"We're going to die," I croaked hoarsely.

"No, no you're not," Cogaje said. His voice was muffled from the bandana. "I promise!"

I felt the cold presence again, sliding around my neck.

Things got stranger right about now.