Chapter 20: Bab al-Sa'a

"It is through the Bab-al-Sa'a that we can most easily get to the Roc," Uzza said.

"What's that?" I asked.

"The Door of Time," the Goddess answered.

"Is that through the Sand Tunnel?" Cogaje asked. "I've heard of it before."

Uzza nodded. Karakulak the lynx stepped forward and pawed in the sand. Manat poured blue and silver fluid now, into the hole Karakulak created. The sand moved itself, forming and reforming into arches.

"We go through this tunnel," Uzza said. "And to the Roc it will lead us."

"Come," Allat said, stepping onto a staircase made of sand. "This way."

I looked at Cogaje and he nodded at me, taking my hand in his. "We'll see our Gone Ones soon."

I stepped onto the sand. It felt solid yet shifty under my feet. The tunnel was warm, despite being underground. As we moved forward, more arches formed from the sand. Gold dust mixed into the arch walls, lighting the way.

The sand formed a door at the end of the tunnel. Out of the door grew a sand ring. The three Goddesses placed their hands over the door and melted into it.

A single being reemerged from the door. The ring from the door was now around the being's neck.

"That's Her," Cogaje said, bowing his head.

The figure was an amalgam of the three Goddesses. It had the long black robe and cup of Manat, the golden necklace and anklet of Uzza and the two swords of Allat was in its hands.

"I am Kulbiwahd," the woman said. "I am the All in One."

"Yes," Cogaje bowed his head, "I have heard of you."

Kulbiwahd bowed her head. "I will take you to the Roc. From there, you will do what you will do, and I will do what I will do."

Cogaje nodded and turned to look at me.

Kulbiwahd turned around, facing the door of sand. With silver water flowing out of the pores of her right palm, she laid her hand on the door, opening it.

"Follow me," she said.

"Who is she?" I asked, pulling Cogaje back before he went through the door.

"A very powerful Goddess, the ruler of all gods and goddesses."

"How do you know this?"

"From all the books I've read. I thought it was all just myth, but..." he said, glancing at the Goddess walking away, "I guess it's not." The Lizsard Prince grabbed my hand, "Come on, let's hurry," he said.

I shifted the leather bag on my back and hurriedly followed Kulbiwahd.

The cold presence around me turned up again, tightening around my neck and chest.

When I glanced at Cogaje, I could tell by his furrowed eyebrows that he was feeling something too.

"The cold before wasn't the Goddesses," I said.

Cogaje shook his head. "I don't think so. There's something following us."