Chapter Thirty Three

Madeline had believed that they were going to be heading back to Mystic Falls after their...interesting meeting with the saucy, hippie witch. But when she realised that they weren't heading back the way they came, she frowned out of the window before turning to the driver.

"Where are we going now, Klaus?"

"I've made plans for us."

"I thought our plans were, perhaps - I don't know - going back home?"

"Well, you weren't able to celebrate your birthday yesterday, so-"

"-Oh, I celebrated, alright." She rubbed her head, "The hangover reassured me that I drank enough."

He chuckled, but said nothing else. Madeline grew bored of trying to get him to spill the beans on the plan, and pulled her phone out of her bag - only to find that it was dead.

"Great." She murmured, tossing it back where it came from.

Klaus suddenly turned down a road, and after driving for another couple of minutes, he pulled up outside a grand theatre.

He got out of his drivers seat, and blurred around to her side of the car to open it for her. "My lady." He held his hand out to her, to which she took (only because she was nervous).

"What are we doing here?"

"A little Petrova bird told me that you like ballet."

"Like it? I love it."

"Well, I have a private box here and in about," He checked his watch, "Ten minutes time, there will be a performance of Sleeping Beauty."

Madeline felt her eyes bulge out of her head, and her mouth dropped open. "If you're toying with me-"

"-I can assure you, I am not."

"You're serious?"

"I am."

She turned to look up at the building, her mouth still agape, "I've never seen the ballet before, but I've always wanted to."

She felt his hand on the small of her back, "Shall we?" He gestured to the main doors.

The theatre was empty, save for the two of them and the few who worked there. The uniformed staff treated Klaus as though he were royalty, and brought him anything that he asked for.

"Are they compelled?"

"Of course, love."

They were led up a flight of stairs and towards a door, which was opened for them. Klaus let Madeline enter first, and once she did she was awestruck. The theatre was huge! The carpets were scarlet and crimson, with gold trims, the stage itself was made of mahogany, and as the brunette looked around them she could see that the private boxes overlooking the 'peasant pit' were fit for royalty. She could imagine Lords and Ladies coming here, back in the day, wearing their finest gowns and tallest top hats to watch either the ballet or the opera.

"This place is unbelievable."

"It's magnificent." Klaus agreed, taking a seat in one of the two chairs. "And we have the place to ourselves."

Madeline looked down at the seating below, and sure enough, every single seat was empty. Even the boxes had no one seated in them.

"Where is everyone?"

"When the owner asks for a private viewing of the ballet, he gets what he wants."

Madeline felt her mouth drop open, "You own this place?"