Chapter Nine

Madeline and Stefan parted ways from Damon, the older Salvatore stating that he needed to speak to Bonnie about a crystal, or something.

The two ran outside (after Stefan overheard a commotion by the busses) and were just in time to watch Vicki launch Jeremy into the wall and bare her fangs at Elena.

Madeline screamed and rushed over to her little brother as Stefan took Vicki Donovan down, pushing a thick wooden stake through her chest.

"Jem?" Madeline checked over her little brother to make sure that he wasn't injured, and once he sat up and assured her that he hadn't broken anything - she pulled him into the most protective hug she could muster. She felt tears pouring down her face when he cried in anguish at the sight of a decomposing Vicki Donovan. Madeline wished she could do something, anything, but she knew she couldn't. Vicki was dead, for good.

"Vicki!" He exclaimed, sobbing his heart out.

She felt a hand being placed on her arm, and she looked up to see an emotionless Damon. She was startled at first, never having seen a 'vamp-out' face before now - but Vicki had struck even more fear of vampires within her.

"It's alright." Damon said, "Take Elena home. Stefan's going to talk to Jeremy...I'll clear up."

It was almost as if her body was acting on automatic, she shouldn't have driven in the state that she was in - but her duty as eldest Gilbert had her needing to be brave. Elena was a mess, and so was Jeremy. Madeline herself felt the need to scream, but she had to hold it in for the sake of her siblings.

"Stefan told me that vampires can compel people to forget things." Elena said as the two sisters sat on the front porch, waiting. "I think we need to ask him to do that to Jeremy."

"We can't do that to him." Madeline shook her head, "If he finds out that we erased his memories...he'll never forgive us, Lee."

"Look at him, Maddie. He can't lose anyone else. It's the only way."

Madeline held up her hands, "I want no part in this." She said, "If he ever finds out that he was compelled to forget...this is on you, Lee."

"Okay." Elena nodded.

They only had to wait another five minutes before Stefan arrived with Jeremy. The youngest Gilbert pushed passed both his sisters, and raced up the stairs to his bedroom.

"Stefan?" Elena questioned, getting to her feet. "Maddie and I have been talking...we think it's best-"

"-You." Madeline corrected her sister. "You think it's best."

"I think it's best, if Jeremy doesn't remember what happened."

"I'm not strong enough." The younger Salvatore replied, "Because I feed on animals, I'm not strong enough to-"

"-I'll do it." Damon appeared on the porch beside the three of them.

"Thank you." Elena murmured.

Madeline couldn't listen, so she made her way inside the house and sat down on the couch with her head in her hands as Elena told Damon what she wanted him to tell her brother.

"Damon?" Madeline looked up as the vampire made his way towards the stairs, "Could you...could you put in a suggestion to him, please? That he focuses a bit more on school and his art?"

"Put in a suggestion?"

"I want him to want to do it." She said, "I don't want him to find out he's been compelled to do good and then think that his achievements weren't of his own making."