Chapter fifty-six

Chapter fifty-six

It all seems like it happens in slow motion. I watch as my arrow flies the short distance across the stage before it buries itself slap bang in between Paylor’s eyes. The look on her face is a look that I know will haunt me for years to come. She seems to go cross-eyed looking at the arrow with a sigh escaping her lips before all life leaves her body and she crumples to the floor in a heap.

Guards instantly surround us and I am acutely aware that the crowd is cheering. At first I think the guards are here to take me away and throw away the key but as I notch another arrow to my bow I realise that they are surrounding us in a protective stance, how the king’s guard would surround royalty when preparing for a fight. In this case Peeta and I were shoved quite unceremoniously into the centre of a three man deep protective guard. Two circles of Peacekeepers and the innermost circle consisted of Haymitch, Gale, Johanna, Plutarch and the others. I look aroun for Ali and Marc knowing that I need to see them before we leave but I am unable to see anything over the heads of the circle of my guard.

“What’s going on?” Asks Peeta. I shrug but I know that the question isn’t directed at me.

“We need to protect you two just in case anyone wants to attack.” Haymitch explains now brandishing a gun.

I look to Gale who is completely focussed on the audience looking out for any threats. I see he has his bow and an arrow notched in place. “Let’s get out of here.” He mutters as I place a hand on his back, silently saying thank you. Plutarch turns from his protective stance and faces Peeta and I.

“I’m staying, I need to address the audience and clear this mess up. I do hope you’ll come back to announce the new president?” He asks, a hopefully, almost pleading look in his eyes.

“Alright, I’m sure we can do that. Can I ask you something though?” I know this is the only time I might be able to say this, the heat of the moment with everything that has happened might just make him consider it.

“Anything Katniss.” He replies smiling widely at me.

“Can you make it law that victors are not disturbed by anyone apart from the president? Make it so they can be approached by the president but they have the right to turn down interviews or visits? Just so our lives can go back to being just us?” I ask not really knowing where this added courage was coming from. I guess I’ve got nothing to lose, I’ve already killed someone on live TV for the entire of Panem to see. I just hope the kids didn’t see.

“Rue, Fin!” I gasp, I begin to feel restless at having not seen them for such a long time. I feel Peeta draw me close to his side and rub his hand up and down my arm in attempt to sooth me and probably himself in the process. He wants to get back to them too.

“I will see what I can do Katniss. It may be that we will have to wait until a president has been elected but I will make sure I persuade each candidate to make it part of their argument for being president. You do realise though that people will be wanting to know who you and the other victors want to be sworn in right?” I sigh knowing he is right.

“Yeah I suppose.” I mutter more defeated than ever.

“How about we all agree to do some form of interview close to the voting day to give our opinions instead of each of us getting pestered all the way leading up to it.” Suggests Peeta, once again my knight in shining armour, always having that unique way with words. Plutarch nods in agreement to this and I feel the eyes of Johanna and Gale on the three of us listening in to our little bargain.

“I look forward to that Plutarch.” Mutters Johanna smirking slightly as she catches my eye.

“I will make sure that happens. You have my word.” He adds bowing his head slightly and stepping away from us.