Chapter Twenty-eight

Chapter twenty-eight?

KPOV

I jolt awake to the feeling of a cold hand pressed over my mouth. Instinctively I snap my eyes open and reach up to fight my attacker when I realize that my limbs are bound, I am unable to move. Noticing that at this moment in time there is no weapon pressed to my neck or any other part of me I begin thrashing around like a fish caught in a net in an attempt to free myself from my attacker and buy me some time to get my hands on my knife, if only I could get my arms free of this damn sleeping bag!

"Will you stop trying to fight me?!" Came the calm voice of my assailant. I froze, what was this tribute doing? Why had they bothered to wake me up before killing me? There was something very strange about this situation and I didn't like it one bit.

"You were screaming in your sleep, just be thankful I found you before one of the others." I made a noise of confusion, unable to speak from their hand covering my mouth. Thankfully he understood my squeak and proceeded to continue. "If I let go are you going to attack me?" He questions and I shake my head, no. How could I attack someone who clearly had no intention of killing me otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to wake me up, right? He sighs in relief and loosens his grip on me, helping me to sit up he patiently waits until I have disentangled myself from my sleeping bag and turning to face him, giving him my full attention before proceeding. As we study each other I instantly recognize this tribute long pale brown hair still loosely tied back, and the many scars littering his face and arms, this is the criminal tribute from team four, district four. As I took in his appearance I noticed one thing that made my breath hitch in my throat, his eyes, they were so blue! Just like Peeta's. Oh no! Is this a Mutt? How can I trust this person if that's even what they are? Now I know what Peeta felt like with all those shiny memories. Thoughts of the first games flood back to me and I immediately freeze as I relive all those moments with the Mutts with the dead tributes eyes. How do I know that this isn't just another trick of the Capitol? No. I can't afford to think like that. I know the head gamemaker and he has vowed to get me and Peeta out alive, he wouldn't throw something like this at me. I have to trust that this is all part of a bigger plan. I zone back in as he begins to talk apparently oblivious to my mini panic attack and for once I am glad that Peeta is the only one who is able to pick up on them.

"My name is Marc. I have been following you now since the initial fight at the Cornucopia, making sure to keep my distance but always there if you needed any help. I knew that if I were to approach you that you would have killed me before hearing me out. My daughter, Ali, she is your friend Gales tribute. We have decided between us that we want you and Peeta to come out of this alive and we are both here to help you two do that, all that we ask is that you help us to find each other again before the end. Please?"

I am instantly on my guard with this confession. "How do I know I can trust you?" I snap as I make to free my arms from my sleeping bag. "What makes me think that you will actually die for Peeta and me?" I question and why would he be willing to confess it so widely when he knows that this conversation is probably being broadcast to the entire of Panem.

"You don't know me, that is understandable. But I know you Katniss. I'm the same age as you. I remember everything that happened. Everything you did to ensure that this country would not go through the same terrifying experiences you went through. I was lucky enough never to have been reaped but you on the other hand. You had the trouble of going through two games, some people even call it three with the fight in the Capitol. I don't expect you to trust me but I want to help you. Without you and Peeta I wouldn't have been able to live the past ten years in relative peace. Yes I was caught for trespassing by some of the peacekeepers and therefore detained for a couple of months but apparently it was enough to get me thrown in here. None of that matters now though, me and my daughter have made our decision. We are innocent, both of us, all I was doing was trying to feed my family, must like you did back when you were her age. You used to hunt illegally to get enough food to feed your family." I nod, it was common knowledge nowadays what I did back then. "that's how you know how to use a bow so well. That why I knew I couldn't just approach you. Look, its getting light and we need to move. I assume we need to get down this cliff? Am I right?" Again I just nod too dumbfounded which this seemingly stranger to do anything else. I just know that I need him to get down this cliff and I just have no choice but to trust him.