Chapter Twenty-seven

PPOV

What have they got planned this time? I think to myself between the Mockingjay pin I’ve just been handed and the message about bread I can’t help but think back to the quarter quell. They wouldn’t try and break us all out, would they? I mean there’s nowhere for us all to go apart from back to Paylor and she has the authority to just put us all back in the games or even worse, just kill us and our families in front of the entire nation. I push this thought out of my head and turn my attention back to Ali.

“I will help you find your father, do you think he will be with Katniss?” I ask hoping that he somehow will be. As she looks up at me from her bag I make eye contact with her and nod, hoping to get the message across that I trust her and I understand even though I’m pretty sure that I hacve no idea what is going on…

“I don’t know, I hope so, that was the plan at least though I don’t know how well Katniss would take to an ally. Especially in her situation, I know I wouldn’t. I know I would kill anyone I see on sight.”

“Then how will he be with her?” I ask, slightly confused.

“He will follow her but maintain a suitable distance. Unless he can find a way to be of some use to her that is.” She really knows Katniss well. It kind of worries me slightly but I guess we are some of the most famous people alive in Panem so I guess I shouldn’t be that worried.

Once we’ve packed up all our supplies and split them evenly just in case anything happens and we end up split up. Luckily I had the same amount as her otherwise I may have felt bad for splitting our stash evenly.  Between us we have enough for one of everything each, water bottles, night vision goggles, wire, rope and plenty of dried food, if we’re careful this could last us a good couple of days. Bang! We both turn around searching our immediate area making sure that wasn’t from around us. When after a couple of minutes there’s no sign of a hovercraft do we deem it safe and go back to our conversation. One more tribute down, I just hope it wasn’t Katniss or Ali’s father, if I see either of their faces in the sky tonight I don’t know what ill do.

“Come on, we should keep going.” I say after a couple of minutes. “We’re going to need water and the sooner we find it the better. Are you ok to carry on?” I ask suddenly concerned that I may be pushing her too hard. She looks up smiling at me,

“Ah Peeta, you forget I’m from district four! Of course I’m alright, never get much of a break at home with all the fishing anyway!” She replies and I know shes going to be able to keep my mood up until I find Katniss.

“Right!” I say jumping to my feet, she copies my actions almost instantly and we automatically fall into step with each other as I lead her in the direction of the river.

“Do you know where you’re going?” She asks after another 20 or so minutes of walking in silence. Do I tell her? Do I let on that I know this place?

I guess I might as well, it’s not as if the games makers and any of the sponsors will not know this arena as well as me.

“Yeah, this was the arena Katniss and I were in in our first games.”

“The one with the berries?”

“How?” I begin to ask, frowning. Of course so many children will know about that. That’s what started the rebellion. “Yeah, that’s the one.”

“Did you actually do it for love?”

“Yes, I did, I was willing to die for her, I had told myself before we even left district 12 that I wasn’t coming home, that she was. She was the one to offer me the berries; she did it because she loved me.” I laugh a little, lightening the mood. “She just didn’t know it at the time. She passed it off as knowing that she couldn’t live without, and I quote, the boy with the bread.”