Chapter eight.

Chapter eight

I was the last to step off the train, right behind Peeta. We all swiftly walked back to Victors village hand in hand everyone in front of us trying to give us a little privacy though every so often they would glance back at us letting me know that we wouldn’t really have any privacy for the next month. As we all came level with our house suddenly everyone parted and I was knocked over as Rue launched herself at me followed by Fin who swiftly jumped on top of Peeta who had been dragged over as I fell. Thankfully we were walking across the grass so that cushioned the fall a little. Everyone laughs at us before heading into our house to give us some space for our little family reunion.

“Mummy!” she yells.

“I’ve missed you too.” I say laughing and giving her a hug.

“Daddy!” she screams launching herself off me and on top Peeta and Fin does the same to me.

“Hello.” I say to him pulling him down to me hugging him. “Miss me?” I ask him smiling as he nodded vigorously. I sit up and Fin sits happily in my lap as Peeta does the same putting his free arm around me. I look at him apologetically telling him silently that I was sorry for pulling him over to which he just smiles and kisses me on the forehead.

“What have you been up to then?” I ask.

“Have you been good for Sae?” Adds Peeta and they both nod.

“We did lots of painting!” exclaims Fin “But Rue is much better at it than me.” He adds a little defeated.

“Well that’s because Rue is older, you will get the hang of it soon enough. You know Daddy paints too!” The words escape my mouth before I have time to process them, all of Peeta’s paintings are of the games and the rebellion, something we haven’t told them much about.

‘Sorry’ I mouth to him as their gaze shifts to Peeta expectantly.

“Can we see them?!” Yells Fin bouncing up and down on my lap and we both can’t help but laugh at his eagerness.

“Maybe, if you’re lucky I’ll show you some later.” He says playfully but I can tell he is trying to think of any he can show them that doesn’t give too much away. I can think of a few but, only a few. Thankfully his response seems to satisfy them enough though.

“Have you had fun in the Capitol? Tell us all about it!” Exclaims Rue standing up tugging at Peeta to get up too. He gives me a nervous glance as he gets himself to his feet and I nod before he pulls me to my feet. Maybe them seeing the paintings isn’t such a bad idea after all, they really should know what’s happening, after all in a couple of months they could be orphans and they deserve to know why.

“They need to know.” I whisper confirming it as rue grabs Peeta’s free arm and Fin grabs mine dragging us into the house.

“I know.” He whispers back. “But when?”

“There’s no time like the present.” I say to him as we enter the living room. Fin and Rue both let go as they see the number of people before us and I realise the only one they would know is Haymitch. “Especially with everyone here, it may make it easier?” I suggest.

“Mummy, Daddy? Who are all these people?” Asks Rue as she begins to back up towards us. I place a calming hand on her shoulder and she looks up at me expectantly.

“Why don’t you and Fin go into the kitchen for a minute and we will tell you all about the Capitol!” I exclaim, plastering a fake smile on and leaning down to tickle her.

“Ahh! No! Stop please!” She laughs and runs out the room with Fin behind her. I stand up and turn my attention to my friends who are all waiting patiently. Peeta sighs and runs his fingers through his hair before explaining.