Chapter thirty-eight

Hey this chapter is their reunion from Peeta's POV, hope you enjoy!

Chapter thirty-eight

PPOV

I lay there silently searching the other side of the bank for my attacker. I know I don’t have much time before another arrow comes at me finishing me off. They will realize soon that I am not dead that no cannon has been fired. I grip the knife harder in my hand and hope that soon I will spot some movement that will indicate where I am to throw this. I see some movement and prepare to move when I hear a tune that has me frozen to the spot. The valley song. But there is only one person who knows that in this arena. Katniss. It’s loud though, too loud to be coming from the other bank, but too quiet to be coming from this side too. She must be in the river. Was she the one who fired the arrow? No. it can’t have been her she wouldn’t have missed…

But then again, who else would be able to get a bow and arrow?

Not thinking I drop the knife I was holding and wait for her to finish the song. When she finally does I hear her voice.

“Peeta?” She whispers. I incline my head to where the sound came from but I can’t see her.

“Katniss?” I whisper back hoping she knows that I’m not going to hurt her.

“Peeta!” She yelps and I see a small figure in the water moving towards the bank. This must be her.

“Katniss? Is that really you?” I utter in disbelief as i jump to my feet still in a crouch and slowly move towards what I presume to be her.

“I am so sorry Peeta, you have to believe me, I didn’t know it was you! I thought it was another tribute.” She rushes as she comes into view. At the sight of her my knees buckle and I collapse to the ground in front of where  she is clinging to the bank. I smile genuinely at her, the first proper smile I have done in a long time and  to my relief she returns it. She is still happy to see me but she is clearly scared that I am annoyed with her, I take it she was the owner of that arrow. She didn’t know it was me, she couldn’t have otherwise she wouldn’t have shot it. I am just grateful that the first shot she has ever missed was her shot at me.

“Katniss.” I mutter as I lift my hand and lightly brush my fingertips down her tear-stained cheek. Oh, she must have thought she had actually killed me.

“I am so sorry, please forgive me.” She begs, fresh tears streaming down her face and I try to catch them. I can’t bear the heart break clear in her grey eyes.

“There’s nothing to forgive Katniss, you missed! First time ever might I add.” I smile and try to reassure her. “It was close, but you missed, and that all that matters. Now let’s get you out of there so I can show you how much I’ve missed you.” I reach out my hands for her to take hold of I need to get her out of the river and into my arms the distance and her tears are killing me. Hesitantly she takes hold of both of my outstretched hands and I pull her straight out of the river with no effort and tug her straight into my embrace, engulfing her and squeeze her hard, oh how I have missed her touch, her scent, my Katniss. I bury my head not so subtly  in the crook of her neck and take a deep breath inhaling her intoxicating scent.

“Thank you.” She mutters her speech muffled by the hug. In response I give her a light squeeze before pulling away.

“Peeta?” Ali calls from her hiding place in the trees. With all this drama I completely forgot about her. “What’s going on?”

Katniss, clearly confused raises a questioning eyebrow at me but I turn my attention back to Ali first.

“Come on down Ali, it’s Katniss.” I hear I rushed scrambling as she makes her decent before coming into view at the bottom of the tree I was leaning against. I move over to stand beside Ali already missing the close proximity from Katniss.