FORTY FOUR

»»————««

CAMILLE

"No, Charles, he's not even sent me a message asking why I called him so many times," I exhaled with a soft sniffle, as I turned the corner and headed towards the main photo studio. Mama always let me borrow her car when I was in Amsterdam, so I didn't have to put up with public transport on my way to work. I'd connected my phone to the Bluetooth system and called Charles, upset and crying, after Max ignored me last night. "I am worried about him. I just want to know he's alright."

"His family would tell you if something happened to him, Camille. Please don't worry too much about it," Charles' voice was so soothing and it relaxed me immediately, but I would've felt better if he was sitting in the passenger seat beside me right now. "He will be busy, just like I am, considering two important races are coming up."

"I know, but a quick message wouldn't do any harm, Charles. I'm so fucking upset," I put my foot on the brakes when a red light showed up out of nowhere, a large sigh leaving my lips. "Fuck."

"Are you okay?" Charles sounded startled as he spoke heavily down the line, his breathing becoming a little harsher. I missed him so much, it was beginning to feel rather unbearable. "Camille?"

"Yes," I whispered, wet tears dripping down my bare face. I used my hands to wipe them away, rubbing my eyes quickly, before focusing my attention on the road again. "I just want to hear from him. If you see him, would you let me know? Just to say he's okay..."

"Of course, mon amour, don't worry about a single thing, because it's alright. Everything is alright, I promise," Charles spoke with a cheerful tone, hoping it would make me feel better and it did to an extent, because he always was the one who made me feel better. "I need to go because I have a training session in ten minutes, but I'll text you when I'm home and call you later, okay?"

"Sure baby," I sighed as I leaned my head back, stopping yet again in another traffic jam. I absolutely despised the traffic in Monte Carlo sometimes, but it had absolutely nothing on Central Amsterdam. "Have a nice day, I love you."

"I love you most. I'll speak to you later beautiful," Charles' voice was beginning to make me tear up a little as he dragged out his words. I wished he could be with me right now, to hold me and reassure me, just to make me feel that little bit better. "I can't wait to see all the beautiful photos you take today."

"If you're lucky, schatje." I giggled, as the call cut off, just as I began to move again, shortly arriving in front of the studio, unfastening my seatbelt and slowly dragging myself from the car. I noticed Mila's car parked close to mine, so I knew that she would be inside already, waiting for me to arrive.

I tried to put on a brave face when I walked inside, waving at Louis as I saw him sorting his cameras in the main room. I could hear Sara's voice coming from the long corridor where my dressing room was situated, with Mila piping up every so often too. I wanted to forget about Max today, for as long as I possibly could, because I didn't want him to disturb my work.

"Camille!" Mila's arms wrapped around me as she rushed up to me in the corridor. "I've missed you! How's life in Monaco? Race weekends? Are you doing alright?"

"It was okay, until Max and I started arguing every day," I shrugged, watching Mila's face fall as I began explaining the situation between Max and I. She dragged me into her dressing room, closing the door behind us. She gave me an apologetic look, also one to say, tell me more, explain what's going on. "I don't know why, I think mine and Charles' relationship set him off. He told me he's in love with me, and he always has been, and hasn't spoken to me since."

Mila's face dropped, as her arms wrapped quickly around me, pulling me tightly into her chest, rubbing my back in a reassuring manner. She knew just how much Max meant to me, so she knew how much this would upset me.

"I wish he'd never told me, not because it's awkward, but because I feel guilty. If he'd told me earlier, maybe I could've given him something more, but I'm so in love with Charles, Mil... Charles means so much to me," I smiled at the thought of my boyfriend, a quick sharp pain rushing through my chest. I missed him terribly and I'd only been away from him for twenty four hours. "He would never be able to replace Max, because he is my best friend and he always has been, but I tried calling him last night and he didn't pick up."

"Babe..." Mila shook her head, before she pulled me into her chest. I chewed on my lip to prevent any tears from falling, because I wasn't going to let it happen today. Mila's warm hugs were always so reassuring, but right now, it made me feel one hundred times better than they previously had done. "He'll come round, you know he will. You're Camille, and he's Max, and you're very special to him, in the same way he is special to you. Your bond is unbreakable, Camille."

"I know, but I'm afraid he's completely done with me because he's seen how serious I am with Charles," I frowned, knitting my brows together as I thought about my best friend, who was back at home in Monaco alone. "I don't want him to be upset and I most definitely don't want it to have an impact on his racing."

"Max is a strong kid, Camille. You know that. He'll be fine and he'll come around," Mila ran her fingers through my hair and I nodded; everybody told me the same thing over and over, so it must've been true. I needed to calm down and listen to everybody else, I needed to push Max to the back of my mind for five minutes. "Come on, we have to get to hair and makeup. I'll be here for you today if you need a few minutes to breathe, just let me know, okay?"

I nodded, as I stood up and walked to the door, "you're the best, Mils. I'll just go and leave my stuff in my room, then I'll head along to makeup."

I left Mila's dressing room and headed to my own, using the key on my lanyard to unlock the door. I stepped inside and placed my handbag on the sofa, taking out my phone and checking to see if I had any notifications. Apart from the odd Twitter and Instagram notification, I had no messages, which upset me a little, because maybe, he had a reason as to why he'd not answered my calls last night. I put my phone on silent and placed it back into my bag, letting out a sigh as I was disappointed, but I was determined not to let it bother me.

I just couldn't settle without hearing from him. I wanted to know if he was alright, doing well and feeling okay. I missed him, but I felt like I couldn't drop him a message to tell him that. The thought of him being without me in Monaco really was crushing me, making me feel teary and upset because I wanted to feel his arms around me, and hear his reassuring voice whispering in my ear. I didn't want him to think I was locking him out, like I did after Stefan and I, but I would never be able to do that to him ever again. I learnt so much during the time when I shut him out, so much about myself and how much of an important role Max played in my life. He was everything to me, a best friend who really was irreplaceable, someone who I would never be able to cut out of my life for good. At many points in my life, he was the only person who truly was there for me.

I sat in my chair in hair and makeup, trying to clear my mind by singing along to the music which was blaring through the speakers in my mind. I hoped it would be enough to remove Max from my mind. As the day went on, I realised how impossible it was to forget about him. He really meant that much to me and I missed him more than I'd ever missed him before. Mila was beside me with a reassuring hug on hand after every few photos we took; today's shoot ranged from a swimwear one to full face makeup photos, with Louis sending us a few at the very end of the day. I was exhausted, excited to get home and have dinner with my parents, then call Charles to see how his day was. Maybe, I would have a message from Max waiting for me.

Just maybe.

»»————««