TWENTY NINE

»»————««

CAMILLE

I sat on the sofa in my grandparents' front room, a blanket draped over my legs and a mug of tea warming my hands. Ever since Max and I arrived in Hasselt and walked past the club, I'd not been feeling myself. Our flight home was scheduled to leave tomorrow morning, so I felt like I'd completely wasted our trip. Max refused to leave my side; he trained with me beside him each morning when we were here and everything we did, we did it together. He knew how much walking past the club had shaken me up; he was terrified when I collapsed in the street. He didn't know what was going on, but neither did I and I felt so guilty to have to start our trip off like that.

Max was currently sitting beside me, allowing me to use his side to prop me upright. I was dressed in a hoodie and some leggings, my eyes focused on the television. We were waiting patiently for Charlotte and Sofia to arrive, as we'd organised to spend time with them whilst we were in Belgium, and today worked best with everybody's schedule. I cuddled into Max's side as I wrapped the blanket tighter around us, my best friend beginning to slowly run his fingers through my hair. I was missing Charles dearly, but I refused to tell him that I collapsed when we arrived as I knew it would worry him and he wouldn't be afraid to book a ticket for the next flight out to Belgium. Of course, I'd been in contact with him and was desperately excited to go home and see him again, but I knew that it wasn't worth the worry, so I kept the incident by the club on our way here rather quiet. It meant I would have to tell him everything and I wasn't ready for that yet.

A knock on the door interrupted the peaceful silence between myself and Max, a groan leaving my lips as he stood up from beneath me and padded across the carpet towards the front door. I rubbed my eyes as I waited patiently for Max to reappear with Sofia and Charlotte behind him. They never found out about what Stefan did to me on that evening, nobody apart from my parents, Max and Victoria ever found out because I was so afraid that I would be judged. I was terrified that people would stick their nose up at me because of what I went through. After plenty of reassurance from Max, I understood that this was just the result of me overthinking, believing only the worst, but it didn't mean I was up for telling everybody about what I went through.

"Camille!" Sofia's voice rang through my ears as she slipped through the door, before walking to me and wrapping her arms around me. Her smile was wide and relaxed, her lips resting together as she let go of me. "I've missed you! It's been so long, and I think you have so much to tell us."

I felt sick at her words, not immediately catching on and realise that she was talking about Charles. I relaxed when Max sat beside me, Sofia sitting on the other side of the sofa, as Charlotte appeared with a similar smile on her lips. She awkwardly hugged me whilst I remained seated on the sofa, my hand linked across Max's wrist. I was nervous. I felt really vulnerable ever since we arrived in Hasselt, knowing fine well that nothing ever happened to Stefan after he took advantage of me that night. I was so afraid of bumping into him because I knew that it wasn't impossible, so I didn't leave the house without Max. I knew that if we did see him, Max would most likely kill him, so I'm glad that we hadn't. He was so protective over me, especially when it came to other men, simply because of that awful night with Stefan.

"I've missed you both so much," Charlotte showed off her pearly teeth by allowing a grin to smother her lips. My friends were all so beautiful. She glanced up at Max and I. "Max, where have our invites to races disappeared to?"

"Patience, Char!" He rolled his eyes and I smiled, leaning my head backwards, resting myself comfortably against Max's chest. "How does Belgium sound? Maybe even the British Grand Prix if you're lucky."