FIFTY THREE

* TRIGGER WARNING - please note that this chapter contains some strong language which some readers may be uncomfortable with *

»»————««

CAMILLE

I was feeling nervous today. Charles seemed to notice the nerves which began to take over my body from the moment I opened my eyes this morning. I told him that I was afraid of seeing Stefan around the circuit today, Charles reassuring me that I had nothing at all to worry about.

As we walker through the paddock towards Sauber's hospitality, I held onto Charles' hand. His grip was secure as he kept an eye out for anybody who was going to make today difficult for me. It was only day one of the Belgian race weekend and I was feeling exceptionally tense; I didn't want to overthink the next few days before they even began. He was cautious, as always, and was carrying my bottle of water in his hand. We drew much closer to the hospitality trailer, Max and Victoria only just ahead of us as they headed towards Red Bull to meet my parents, Sophie, Charlotte and Sofia. I promised that I would head along after saying goodbye to Charles in his garage.

"Are you feeling okay?" Charles slowly ran his thumb across the side of my hand, my body was still just as tense as it was this morning, even after plenty of cuddles in bed before we got ready for the day.

"Yes, alright."  I smiled, as I slowly began to take in my surroundings. I was very wary of what was going on around me, because I was so afraid of seeing Stefan. In fact, I was terrified and there was something in my stomach which was telling me that he was close by. He was right here under my nose, right in front of my eyes and was waiting for me to notice. I flinched a little, my head snapping upwards and I could feel a pair of eyes burning into the side of my skull. My whole body fell weak, Charles tightening his grip on my hand, but I started shaking my head quickly.

I wasn't fucking seeing things anymore. Stefan was mixed in the crowds, his eyes focused directly on me in my vulnerable state, with a woman linked to his arm. Immediately, I knew the woman was his new wife and I hoped, for her own sake and safety, that Stefan acted as the bigger man in the relationship and admitted his past. He wore a chilling smirk on his face, as his eyes flicked from my face, all the way down to my legs. I shook my head, a warm feeling growing at the back of my throat. My head soon began to spin, my vision becoming clouded as I tried to pry my eyes away from Stefan's direction. Charles shortly noticed how anxious I was feeling and I think he realised how numb my body was becoming.

The boy who ruined my life was stood metres before me. He looked proud of himself, as if hurting me like that was all he'd ever wanted, maybe it was his only intention after all.

"Camille!" Charles' cry wasn't as loud in my ears as it should have been. I felt dizzy, lightheaded and weak; I couldn't rely on Charles to keep me upright anymore. My legs were shaking, everything quickly becoming black as I fell to the ground, my head making a horrendous cracking noise as it came into contact with the concrete on the ground.

Stefan's dirty eyes filled my mind and they were the only thing I could see, before the I slipped away from reality and fell into a deep state of unwanted fear and pain.

MAX

"Fucking hell!" Charles' accent was strong and easily recognisable from afar. I knew that something was wrong, because he would never shout in the paddock, never mind use language like that. "Somebody grab Max Verstappen. Please, immediately."