FORTY

»»————««

CAMILLE

Charles and I were preparing to fly to England, our bags sat at the front door waiting for us to leave in the morning. I was exhausted, after a long day spent in his apartment, packing our luggage to last us for almost a week. We were spending Wednesday to the following Monday in England and I couldn't wait to visit again, especially with Charles this time.

Max and I were on speaking terms, but it was nothing too special. We were civil, because we did have to live together for the majority of the time but we weren't as close as we were before Charles and I started dating officially. I felt so guilty because I was beginning to think that maybe my new relationship was responsible for the dip in my friendship with Max. I loved him with my whole heart, because he had been there for me ever since we could talk. We were brought up with the intention of remaining best friends for the rest of our lives and that was exactly what I wanted, twenty one years on. I was excited to see his race in England because after Austria, it was highly anticipated that he would be well up into the points and I really hoped that happened for him. I couldn't wait to be there to support him nevertheless, no matter what the final outcome was.

Charles was currently showering, whilst I relaxed on his large, comfortable bed and waited for him to reappear. I felt so lucky to have the chance to spend so much time with him; we were even luckier that we both lived within walking distance of one another. I knew that our relationship would have been much harder if I still lived in Amsterdam with my parents. I knew that I'd scored by finding Charles and falling so deeply in love with him. He was amazing and he treated me properly, exactly how I deserved to be treated, especially after Stefan. The thought of losing Charles scared me because I was slowly growing more and more attached to him as the days passed, but I believed that the feelings were most definitely reciprocated on his behalf.

I couldn't help but think about Max, no matter how hard I tried to push the thought of him to the back of my mind. I was worried about him because I knew he was alone in our apartment and I wished I could be there with him. I still felt conflicted, even after all this time, because I didn't know what to do. Was I supposed to stay at home with Max and keep him company? Or was I supposed to put all my time and effort into Charles, my new boyfriend? I just wished that Max would get on a little better with Charles, enough so that I didn't feel awkward around him.

I heard the water stop pouring from the shower, Charles clearing his throat as the glass door of the shower was pushed open. I smiled, chewing on my lip, sitting patiently on the bed and waiting for him to appear. The bathroom door creaked open and I smiled when he tiptoed across the carpet and to my side.

"Mon amour," his smile was wide as he sat beside me on the bed. My stomach filled with butterflies as I noticed that the usual mon ange had changed into a beautiful mon amour. His fingers slowly grazed across my warm cheeks, as his forehead slowly moved closer to my own. "You look so beautiful right now."

I looked at him in disbelief. I was wearing a pair of grey joggers and a white bandeau top, my hair tied tightly on top of my head in a messy bun. I'd been waiting for Charles to finish in the bathroom before I went in there to shower too. I shook my head slowly to disagree with him, but Charles only rolled his eyes and pressed his lips to my own to prevent me from arguing with him. His lips were warm and sweet, they tasted of mint as they lingered over mine delicately. His hands were quick to fall to the elasticated waistband of my joggers, his touch warm and soft as he moved closer to me to boost the trust between us.

"So beautiful," Charles drew his lips backwards from mine, still keeping them close to mine as he twirled a small strand of a loose hair around his fingers, before carefully tucking it behind my ear. "The bathroom is all yours, baby, take a shower. Relax. I'll be waiting here for you."