TWENTY ONE

»»————««

CAMILLE

I sat in Sauber's garage as I watched my favourite race on the calendar unfold; the Grand Prix in Monaco was my all time favourite. Charles picked me up this morning from mine and Max's apartment, but I promised my best friend that I would quickly come and wish him luck before the race today. He'd been given a penalty, which I knew he was angry about, but I knew he would still be able to drive a great race. Even though I was enjoying the race, I couldn't stop thinking about mine and Charles' dinner this evening. Currently, I was dressed in a beautiful white off the shoulder crop top and a light blue slit maxi skirt with strap sandal heels on my feet. I loved getting dressed up for Monaco race day. After the race, Charles and I would change, him in his own drivers room, whilst I took Max's, allowing us both to change into something even more formal and appropriate for our dinner reservation at one of the fanciest restaurants in Monte Carlo. I'd been once before with Max, Victoria and Sophie, along with my mother and father and I knew how expensive it was.

I was worried about this evening and I'd been worrying ever since Charles asked me out in Barcelona. Of course, my initial reaction wasn't ideal and I regretted it, but thankfully Charles understood and he was still more than willing to take me out. With Victoria's help, I found the perfect dress to wear and I knew exactly how I was going to apply my makeup, which I completed this morning. I didn't know how I was supposed to calm myself down without making a fool of myself in the Sauber garage, where I was surrounded by people who didn't know me all too well. I would have felt a little more comfortable if I was in the Red Bull garage, because at least I knew most people on the team through Max. With the race going steady for both Max and Charles, I knew that leaving the garage for a little while and paying more attention to the date I had this evening wouldn't harm anyone. Victoria was watching the race with Sophie from the Red Bull garage, so I pulled my phone from my pocket and decided to leave her a quick message, hoping that she would check her phone to reply.

CAMILLE: Vic, can you meet me in Red Bull's hospitality in 5? I'm so worried about tonight... :(

VICTORIA: Yes of course! I'm on my way x

I smiled, glancing around at the engineers who were close by and excusing myself, before heading towards the door which took me towards Sauber's hospitality building. I sighed, clutching my phone and bag to my side as I hurried outside. I saw Victoria standing outside of Red Bull's hospitality and I smiled weakly as I rushed to her side. She enveloped me in a warm hug as I sighed, before following her inside. We found a table in the corner and I took a long sip of water from the plastic bottle I'd been carrying around all day.

"Talk to me," Victoria giggled, as she placed her hand softly against my wrist. She was just as excited as I was for my date with Charles.. "What's worrying you about this evening?"

"I'm excited mostly," I admitted, a little smile tugging at the corner of my lips. "But I'm worried in case he realises maybe I'm not the right person for him. I've been thinking and I've really come to understand my feelings for him."

"Charles really likes you and it's really obvious," she winked and I rolled my eyes. I hated how right she was. "It's all going to be so great, Cami."

"Do you think so? I'm afraid he might think I don't look very pretty. I'm afraid he'll regret even looking at me," I chewed on my lip. All of my insecurities came flooding back after Charles asked me on a date and I was scared because I wasn't sure how to react to them. "I've never been in this position before."