Chapter 16

The west library was huge. The rows of shelving-holding books and scrolls-stretched multiple stories up to the ceiling, ladders on wheels rested against each dark wooden shelf so the contents higher up could be reached. Murtagh scanned the shelves as he made his way to the middle of the library. The books contained titles of; Summonings, Creatures of Alagaësia, Oath Binding.

   The last section especially caught his interest, and he made his way for the collection of books when a figure stepped into the row. He looked over to see Galbatorix-only metres away from himself-who snapped a book shut. "Come with me."

   He turned and walked away. Murtagh watched the back of him, and felt a new savagery burst forth. Murtagh ran at the King, who turned surprised. Galbatorix reached out to strike him but was too slow, in his tempest Murtagh was faster than he had ever been before. His fist connected with the Kings face, breaking his nose and spraying blood. The older man fell to the ground with hands grasping at his face, then Murtagh upon him. His knee dug into his chest, expelling the breath from Galbatorixs lungs, and grasped the sides of his head. "You deserve thousand fold worse, poltroon." He brought the Kings head down against the harsh stone flooring, he heard a crack and the Kings eyes went half lidded, he appeared drunk-like as he stared up at his captive. "This is for my mother," he brought his head back down against the floor, "for Tornac," again, "and for Lorena." He gave a great heave and twist, and heard the satisfying sound as the Kings neck snapped.

   At least that's what he wanted to do.

   His hand twitched before his oaths forcibly stopped his compulsion to kill the King, only making his anger worse. Galbatorix continued walking, expecting Murtagh to follow, so he did. They went to the far wall of the library and entered through one of the doors that dotted the library's perimeter.

   Galbatorix dropped his book onto a desk in the middle of the study. He pulled back the chair and looked up at Murtagh as the door shut behind him. "Have a seat."

   Murtagh hesitantly fell into the offered chair.

*          *          *

   Lorena stared down the empty hallway and cursed herself. There was no one she trusted to ask, but neither did she remember. She chewed her lip and wondered again, where exactly are her chambers.

   Pushing herself off the wall she decided she might as well start walking. She wondered around the castle for hours before she happened upon a hallway that seemed slightly familiar. From there she walked back and forth down different walkways trying to find the right one. The experience reminded her of running through the Beor Mountains with Murtagh beside her and Urgals at their back. Though, this time she wasn't running to an escape, but to a known punishment rather than an unknown one.

   Finally she happened upon a familiar wooden door, with an intricate carving of dragons in combat. Lorena reached out with a shaking hand, opened the door, and stepped inside.

   There was a shout and Lorena jumped backwards as hands grasped at her. She cried out and struck the wall behind her, before she realised the person in front of her to be one of her handmaidens.

   "M'Lady, where have you been?" the head maiden grasped her wrists and inspected her.

   "You scared me!" Lorena scolded, attempting to pull her arms free.

   "I didn't know the King had allowed you leave from the chambers." The woman looked middle aged, with a kind face. Lorena watched her, wondering if she might have gotten her in trouble.

   "Why are you here?"

   "We brought you lunch, but you were not here. It must be cold now. If you wish we can bring something else." The head maiden stepped back and Lorena eyed the tray of mutton on the table.

   "No," she claimed, suddenly aware of her empty stomach, "This will do fine."

   Lorena sat herself in an armchair and started on the meat. Her handmaidens lined themselves up against the wall like they did when they brought her meals and they had finished cleaning the chambers. When full Lorena dropped her fork and watched the head maiden collect the tray, before turning toward the door.

   "What are your names?"

   The maidens turned back to her clearly looking surprised. Lorena felt ill by their response, and wondered why she had never given any thought to these women who were looking after her.

   The head maiden turned and pointed to the youngest of the group. "This is Kari," next the maid with blond locks, "Eira," and then she held her hand over her own chest, "and I am Sigrun."

   "My name is Lorena."

   Sigrun smiled, "I know m'Lady." She made her way to the chamber door and paused with her fingers on the handle. "We will not tell Galbatorix about your trip outside, but you should be careful. Hopefully there will be no punishments."

   "Thank you."

   The maidens nodded and exited the chambers, leaving Lorena wondering if she might have made an ally.