Chapter 19

“Who the hell are you?”

   Stunned to hear a feminine voice Lorena spun around. It was dark in the courtyard and she had expected the visitor to be Galbatorix. Instead she faced a raven haired woman, tall statured with evident curves. She had a fine face, with a pointed nose, and scowling brown eyes.

   Still grasping her arms Lorena opened her mouth to reply, but became unsure of what to say. She then shrugged and claimed, “I’m Lorena.”

   The woman rolled her eyes. “I don’t care what your name is. What do you think you’re doing here?” She looked her up and down. “You’re not the reason why the King hasn’t called on me!”

   She was already in a bad mood and dealing with this woman did not improve it. She snapped back, “You have a problem with that?”

   “Oh! This one’s feisty, now I see why the Kings interested in you. Don’t be surprised if he invites you to join us.” The woman reached behind her and began undoing the lace on her dress. “Now, if you don’t mind, I’m going to get ready for when the King arrives.”

   Lorena watched as she slipped out of her gown, allowing it to fall to the floor. Blushing Lorena quickly looked away, she wore no underclothes.

   “A modest whore?” the woman laughed, “That’s interesting.”

   Turning back to face her, Lorena found her stretched out across the bed. “I’m not a whore.”

   The woman laughed again. “Of course not. Let me guess, you love the King and would do anything he asked of you.”

   “I don’t love Galbatorix.” The woman’s mouth dropped, seemingly shocked that she used his name. “And I won’t do anything he asks of me.”

   “You should watch your attitude, or you’ll have that beaten out of you. You should be glad to be here, the King is the best lover in Alagaësia.”

   “I’ve had better.”

   The woman raised an eye brow. “There’s something wrong with you.”

   “If you want him, you can have him.” Lorena snapped and walked out into the courtyard. With the absence of the moon and stars she could barely see her own hand, even if she held it in front of her face.

   She listened for the sound of the fountain and followed blindly. She found the marble wall when she stubbed her toe on it, then sat. It was too cold to dangle her feet in the water, so she folded her legs up beside her and listened to the splatter it made.

   It wasn’t long before she heard the bedchamber door open and the sound of voices. She had her back to the chambers and didn’t bother to see what was going on. The voices spoke quietly and she was only able to make out every few lines.

   “What are you doing here?”

   “Your Majesty… for you, do you like?”

   “…you were not invited…abscond.”

   There was a pause, then the chamber door slammed shut and was followed by silence. Lorena was staring at the sky, attempting to glimpse a star when a hand touched her shoulder. She jumped and glanced beside her but saw nothing. Though she felt a form sit next to her. The hand trailed lightly down her arm and it took all her will power to not flinch.

   “It seems you had a guest.”

   “I believe that you had a guest.” She resisted the urge to move away from the invading form. “She left quite quickly.”