Chapter 04

The King lounged comfortably upon his throne. He was strong looking man, with broad shoulders and trim waist. A close cropped beard, the same black as his hair and clothes, covered his face which was lean and long. His eyes pitch black, with a deep brow and bladelike nose and skin coloured like tarnished bronze.

Galbatorix shifted in his seat, looking down upon them with a mixture of pleasure and disdain. "Greetings Murtagh welcome back home. You have been sorely missed. I look forward to hearing about your adventure, all the things you did and people you met," Galbatorixs' voice was deep, rich, and commanding. His words seemed to wrap themselves about you, but at this moment his tone was that of an adult speaking to a child. "and to having you join my service." His eyes flicked from Murtagh to Lorena. "It seems to me that I have two gifts. Who is this lovely young lady?"

"Murtaghs' whore," sneered a Twin.

"Her name?"

"Lorena."

"Greetings Lorena, welcome to your new home." He shifted his gaze behind the pair, "Captain, you and your men may leave." The soldiers turned and left the room, the doors thudding shut. "Now Murtagh, tell me everything that happened after you left Urû'baen."

Murtagh stared off to the side of the throne, his jaw locked and hands clenched. He ignored the eyes upon him and allowed the room to lapse into silence. The King waited patiently, rubbing his right thumb against the arm of the throne while he gazed down at Murtagh. The minutes rolled on, both men stubbornly silent.

Eventually Galbatorix sighed disappointedly. "Murtagh, if you do not wish to talk then I will have to make you." The doors to the chamber swung open and a small group of fresh soldiers entered. "Take our guests to their room, a twin cell will do perfectly."

The soldiers dragged both Murtagh and Lorena to their feet and marched them out of the chamber. They made their way down a side passageway, then another. Lorena paid attention to every turn, counting how many passageways they walked past before entering one, burning them into her memory in case they were ever given a slim chance of escape. Though she knew there would be none.

They walked through a grey door, stumbled down steps and were each forced onto a concrete slab. Lorena pulled against the arms restraining her until she received a metal backhand across the face, her vision blurred as her head lolled to the side. On her right she watched Murtagh have his arms, legs, and head being strapped, a noiseless snarl distorted his face. Lorena's head was grabbed and forcibly repositioned, she examined the ceiling as the soldiers fixed her head into place with a leather strap.

Without a word the soldiers left, slamming the door behind them and leaving the two in silence. Lorena stared up at the ceiling, tiles covered the room and different coloured lines decorated it like veins. She was examining a red and a purple vein interweaving when Murtagh spoke.

"We tell him nothing," Murtagh almost growled, "we give him no information about us, Eragon, or the Varden. We don't give into the bastard."

"He's going to torture us," Lorena licked her lips, "he's going to try to squeeze the information out of us, and if that doesn't work he's going to force himself into our minds."

Murtagh paused. "Yes, but what do you think will happen if we tell him anything?"

"He will listen, and then he will force himself into our minds." Lorena laughed bitterly.

"He will get the information no matter what we do. So I say we make his task as difficult as possible." Murtagh paused, the only noise in the room the steady rhythm of their breathe. "You know I love you. No matter what happens always remember that I love you."

A choked sob escaped past Lorena's lips. "I love you too... but no matter what happens we fight Galbatorix. No matter what he does to the other we defy him anyway we can."

Murtagh laughed, "That's my girl."