Chapter 7 - Learning Curve (II)

Decker was alone at the shooting range. He had been firing his weapon for so long his hands were sore. Decker didn't really care. He had body parts way more sore than that. He was turning off most of the major pain but was keeping just enough to let him know what was damaged. At the moment that was 'everything'. 

His railgun was at one of the highest settings. After some sustained fire he was actually able to get the defense field spark flecks of green. This coupled with a wide spread had allowed him to ensure sufficient coverage to "destroy" his holographic target, but that wasn't what he was here for. He was supposed to be learning accuracy.

He supposed he wasn't going to do that spraying slugs everywhere.

Inspired, he turned the setting back down to the minimum, barely faster than a projectile from one of the ancient firearms of the distant past. He took the weapon off automatic fire and set it to single shot.

Slowly and carefully he lined up his weapon, checked the holodisplay, looked down the sight, waited for his arms to steady, aimed, and fired.

He missed.

* * *

"Just try to cushion your landing," explained the drone. "Push down with the AG."

"Right," said Decker, as he floated uncomfortably high off the ground of the landing bay, "right, right, right."

"Don't be afraid to use the small ones," said the drone.

Now wasn't the time to tell him he didn't know how to do that yet, Decker decided.

Decker took a deep breath. It hurt a little. Then he allowed himself to drop and pushed down with the AG.

With a thump a crater appeared below Decker in the deck of the ship. The indentation looked like a reverse bubble.

"Stop, what are you doing!" yelled the drone. He grabbed Decker in a force field and cut power to his AG harness. He flung him to the side a little more roughly than he intended.

"Do you have no sense of restraint? An AG harness is not a toy!"

The drone came flying up at Decker, getting in his face.

"I was trying to do what you told me," said Decker.

"Well now I'm telling you to fly softer!"

* * *

Decker knew that Aranarth would kick him. He knew roughly where he would aim. He tried to block it with both hands. Instead the impact sent him skidding all the way into the wall behind him with a thud.

His hands burned bright red. They throbbed. He could barely move his fingers. He turned the pain off.

Decker tried to roll out of the way of the inevitable follow up, but Aranarth didn't attack Decker where he was. He attacked where he knew he was going to be. His fist slammed Decker's head into the wall, knocking him out cold.

Decker awoke a few seconds later, lying on his back, dazed.

"What are you going to do, Decker?" asked Aranarth. "Are you just going to let us break you until there's nothing left? When are you going to admit defeat?"

Decker shook his head and tried to focus.

"You can stop this whenever you want."

Decker painfully rose to one knee then, with a hiss, pulled himself back up to a standing position.

"Suit yourself," said Aranarth.

* * *

Decker was mentally and physically destroyed inside and out. Bruises from one day were layered over those from another. Everything hurt. One by one he turned off each source of pain. He didn't even have the mental energy to do that.