Can't Breathe, Can't Sleep

A/N: Title taken from Little Mix's Love Drunk. 

Again. In my defense, it's a good song:)

Enjoy.
xx

 I find her in the kitchen, fiddling with something on the counter near the stove. I can immediately tell its her, even in the dim moonlight. Her silhouette is so distinct, even though we're all the same height. I can tell it's her from her hair, her neck, her thighs, though I know better than to linger on that last feature for too long.

She's being awfully noisy for it being 3:17am. At first, I think maybe the little numbers on the microwave clock are lying, that maybe it's not really that late, but a quick glance at the oven clock shows the same time. She must not realize. Or, maybe she doesn't realize the ruckus she's causing. Regardless, I'm not worried about it, knowing the other two will sleep through her uncharacteristic noisiness. Leigh's a heavy sleeper, and Jade sleeps with headphones in every night. I, on the other hand, am woken up by the smallest of shuffles.

Perrie stops rustling around for a moment, instead just placing her arms on the counter, leaning forward.

"Pez?" I say quietly, not wanting to scare her but wanting to let her know that I'm here.

"Shite, Jessica," she says with a jump, whipping around to face me. "Gave me a heart attack, you did."

"Sorry," I say quietly, walking over to sit on the island next to where she stands. "What are you doing up this late?"

"Did I wake you?" She asks, and I can see the apology in her eye's before she's even offered it. "I'm sorry, Jes."

"Oh, it's alright, babe," I say, running a hand through my sleep-mussed hair. "I'm just a light sleeper is all."

She gives me what I think is meant to be a small smile, but it comes out more like a grimace.

"What's wrong, baba?" I ask her, grabbing her hand.

"It's stupid," she says, bringing the hand that's not holding mine to rub at her eyes.

"Most things are, love," I say with a laugh. "Doesn't mean it doesn't matter. C'mon, what is it?"

"I just...ugh. I can't. It's just all a bit too much sometimes, you know?" she asks, eyes shining. "I-um. I'm grateful for all the stuff I have, all the things we get the opportunity to do, I mean. We're living the dream, Jes. The absolute dream. But sometimes, it just. Sometimes-"

"It feels more like a nightmare?" I offer.

"Yeah," she says, biting her lip. Despite her best efforts, a tear starts to track its way down her face. I quickly hop off the countertop and take her into my arms. As soon as I do, she starts to make these little choking sounds, and I can feel my heart break.

"Oh Pezza, it's gonna be alright," I say, pressing kisses to her forehead, her cheek, her hair.

"But what if it's not?" She mumbles into my neck.

"Then we'll figure it out when we get there," I say, running a hand up and down her back.

I keep humming gentle reassurances at her temple as she cries, and eventually her cries slow to soft sniffles and the occasional hiccup.

"Are you feeling any better?" I ask, once the cries become nearly nonexistent.

Nearly.

"Maybe a little," she says, though I'm sure she's only saying it for my benefit.

"Would a cuppa help?" I ask, loosening my hold on her a bit.

"Nah, I think I just better go to sleep," she says, wiping her eyes before meeting mine.

"Alright, then," I say, pulling her in for one last hug before I back away. "You wake me if you need anything, alright?"

"Sure thing. Thanks, Jes," she says, shooting me the tiniest of smiles.

"Always, love," I say, before making my way back to my room. I hear Perrie return to her own room after a couple of minutes, so I decide I better try and get back to sleep. A quick glance at the clock lets me know that it's 4:38, and I groan, imagining the fatigue I'll feel upon waking.

I'm nearly back to sleep when I hear my door creak open, and the quick padding of feet before I feel a dip in the bed next to me.

I turn around to face the dip, though I already know who I'll find lying in it.

"Can I stay here tonight?" She asks, all watery blue eyes and tear stained cheeks and soft bitten lips and how could I say anything but yes?

"Of course, babe," I say. She turns away from me, and I'm a little surprised at her sudden move until she asks in a small voice,

"Can, um. Will you hold me?"

I don't answer, but quickly wrap my arms around her little waist and twine one of my legs with her own.

"Goodnight, Jesminda," she says softly, bringing one of the hands wrapped around her waist to her lips before giving it a smacking kiss.

"Night, Perriewinkle," I say, planting a soft kiss behind her ear. I feel her shiver a bit, but shrug it off as a simple involuntary reaction, trying not to think much of it.

"I love you," I whisper once I'm sure she's asleep. As I drift off, I try to think of anything but the sleeping girl in my arms, and all the other things I want but cannot have. 

---

Well, I have no time to write, a million things that I really ought to edit, and a major presentation that I'm to give on on Tuesday that's not even closed to finished. So what did I do with my valuable, fleeting time? Wrote a Pesy one shot, of course.

I know it was crazy short, and probably riddled with grammatical errors, but I hope you enjoyed!
Off to work on my presentation!
If you wanna fangirl about #bounceback, or tell me that you hated/loved this onseshot, come say hi on Tumblr at 16sydd16 !! Also, check out my Pesy fic "(no one else can fix me) only you" right here on wattpad, if you want! 

Please vote and comment!! Everytime I see any sort of feedback, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside!:)

Lots of love, and have a great week!
xx
Sydd