SchuylerThorpe

SCHUYLERTHORPE

<>What is your favorite genre to write in?

Science-fiction and fantasy. I like exploring new worlds with the first and stretch my legs with the second.

<>What is the meaning behind your username?

Well, my user name is unoriginal as they go. I used my own name instead of something like 'Tigress192' because I've grown past the need for an alias.

<>In your opinion, why should people read your work?

I think people who grow tired of the same material that comes out of the woodwork in the publishing industry would find my novels a breath of fresh air and interesting. They aren't mainstream approved nor do they follow the same writing formula as say a Stephen King yarn or Terry Goodkind. I'm not writing my books to please the masses and give them something to salivate over. I write mostly to make myself happy and content.

<>What do you struggle with most when first creating a new story?

Creating a new story takes a lot of energy and patience. It means having to start over (again) and begin the process over and sometimes that can be draining on me--even though I've been doing this for 26 years now.

It's always a battle to start something new and exciting. I mean, it can be done, but it takes a lot of effort to rev up the engines again after running a marathon on the last book you've written.

<>What is your favorite part of the writing process? Least?

The favorite part of the writing process--for me--is being able to have the power to *create* something out of nothing and make it work--even in the face of dissent and adversity.

<>This is something I created that no one else can lay claim to.

The least part of the writing process is being so caught up in a novel (like my current one for example) and wondering if it will ever end. Sometimes, you have to step back and analyze what you're doing and try to make the right decision in finishing the novel, that sometimes, the whole process eludes you in that moment and you find yourself lost in the process.

<>Where do you usually find inspiration?

These days, my inspiration to write is found in my *obsession* to write. To self-publish someday and bring what I've labored over to fruition.

<>Do you have a genre/subject that you would never write about? If so, why not?

I'm pretty open to some genres, but pure romance and westerns are to genres I probably could never write--because of my lack of experience and exposure. I'm not a real big fan of either since I grew up on STAR TREK and read books of the same kind.

<>When and why did you begin writing?

I started writing at the age of 14. It was my escape mechanism from a life I felt had become too chaotic and stressful.

<>How much time do you spend on writing?

These days, it depends on how bad my depression is. I didn't get much writing done at the beginning of the year because of a family issue, but this summer, I suddenly felt the *urge* to write out of the blue and I tackled one of my postponed paranormal/romance novels and spent the entire summer blowing through word counts like crazy until about August where I finally hit a wall. Now, I'm trying to recover and press on with the book and finish it for the next one in line.

<>What authors have inspired you?

In the beginning a lot of STAR TREK authors inspired me to start writing books of varying length. Diane Duane, Peter David, Vonda M. McKintyre--these three Trek authors gave me reason to aspire to new heights in my writing; to set goals and press forward with my work.

I used a lot of what they wrote as a framework for my own novels. And I don't mean plagiarizing them. I mean studying and reading what they published and applied those values to my own writing--in order to see if I could outdo what they accomplished.

Turns out that writing a 400-page novel wasn't as hard as it looked...now.

<>What do you see yourself doing in the future as far as writing?

More writing than publishing. That much is certain. I don't know if I'll ever get around to finishing everything I've spent the last 20 years mapping out in careful detail, but who knows? Maybe I'll live long enough to see a lot of what I've done come full circle.