"I think we should get your mind off things..." Ebony chimed in

"and do what? talk about that baby?" I could hear the annoyance in her voice. "Look, I love you and that little monster but jesus so help me if you bring it up again."

"Fine"

"Thank you..." my voice was still very low but as long as nobody was talking it wasn't too hard to make out everything I was saying. "I've never had friends like this, that actually care about me and my well being... when it came to my friends back in the day it was always a motive behind it."

"You were just hanging around the wrong bitches, we love you girl."

It took Brianna another fifteen minutes to finish up whatever she was doing to my hair, it felt nice to have her hands run through my curls. It calmed my nerves down completely almost putting me to sleep in which I haven't successfully done in days.

"Okay!" Brianna shouted, "Two goddess braids so at least you can lay around and not rub your hair out and I deserve a snack now." standing up she exited the room before anyone could protest.

"Hey... Kimani?"

"hmm?"

"I know how you feel... about me being pregnant and i'm sorry if you felt some type of way, that is not what I wanted...." I could hear how sincere her apology was in her voice and it broke my heart..... even more than it is.

"No, i'm sorry... this is your time to be happy and shine okay? don't apologize my time will come and how did you know?"

"ya aunt told me to keep the baby talk around you to a minimum."

"Of fucking course." The two of us laughed and the feeling felt foreign to me, to be cheerful and in a bit of a better place but it was nice. In the middle of our laughter a faint voice could be heard from down stairs.

"Kimani.... Don't!" Ebony had recognized the voice just as I did, I was already out the door and a voice shouting for me to come back could be heard chasing behind me.

"Yeah, pops.... I got all that shit handled and the boys back on the block selling."KJ was speaking to dad once he was in view. "Oh, Kimmie hey!"

The tone in his voice was almost taunting or maybe that's just how I heard it. Once he was within arms reach I swung a hard right into his stomach causing him to bend over in pain.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" It was all I could get out before raining down a few more blows that put KJ on his knees.

"What's ya fucking issue?" KJ shouted.

"You know what you did! you killed Dash!"

I was expecting everyone in the house to stop me but dad was still sitting on the couch and Ebony, mom and aunt Toya were just standing by the steps.

KJ didn't say anything, he just stayed on his knees.

"This isn't going to bring him back."

"Dad taught us nothing but to be loyal to our family and friends and you go and do that? you go above and beyond with every fucking thing! you're not a kid anymore KJ! you want to sell drugs? fine but stop being a little bitch!" My voice began to crack as I yelled at him.

"Come on." Ebony took my arm in her hands. "You need to cool down... Brianna!"

"What!?" Brianna popped her head in to the living room with a plate with a few slices of pizza placed on it and one in hand. "How come y'all niggas want to get rowdy when a bitch is trying to eat?"

"We are leaving, come on." Ebony continued to push me towards the door and away from KJ.

"Oh and Ebony ya stuff for the baby came." Mom called after us and the entire room went still, it seemed like someone had hit pause and nobody had a rewind button.

"Baby?" KJ mustered up the strength to stand up. "What is she talking about Ebony? didn't you get the abortion?"

"You tried to force her to get an abortion?" Dad finally chimed in and his voice echoed throughout the room. My dad wasn't the most ethical man seeing as he's basically the number one drug dealer in this area but he had stand's on a few things. "and I thought I told you to leave Dashawn alone?"

"You kept the baby Ebony?" it seemed like everything my dad said went in one ear and out the other. "Ebony?"

It was my turn to get her out of here as I felt her grip on my hand loosen, I know this stress was not good for her or the baby.

"Brianna lets go." I took hold of her and lead her out of the house.

"Alright... well, nice seeing y'all today, Mrs. Sumner I'll bring the plate back and the pizza box in the kitchen is empty, bye." Brianna rushed herself out of the house behind us.

We walked a few blocks away from my house before stopping at the park and sitting ourselves down on a bench.

"I thought my family was fucked up." Brianna chuckled as she ate at her slice of pizza. "You guys need a reality show... Keeping up with the Sumner's"

Although neither of us were in the mood Ebony and I couldn't help but laugh lowering the tension we felt.

"I don't think we should keep secrets anymore if they're just going to keep getting out like this but come on you two can sleep over mine."

We ordered an uber to Brianna's house since I wasn't able to snatch anyone's car keys before storming out,

"That's weird.." I had gotten a few missed calls from an unknown number from an area code I don't recognize but instead of calling back I decided to just ignore it seeing as it was most likely a telemarketer.