Chapter 23

Victor's POV

Ouch. That had really hurt.

My body felt like when you kick your funny bone; except it was throughout my entire body. While I laid against some rubble from where I landed, my mind kept thinking, "Pins and needles! Pins and needles!"

"You," Zeus growled, coming over to where I was sprawled in oh-so-miserable pain. Oh uh. I need to divert his attention— fast.

"So, you want to know why I betrayed you all?" I asked. Zeus froze. Well then, point to Victor!

"Why's that?" Zeus asked, his voice on edge. I knew I had to be careful when talking to Zeus. Athena had always told me he wasn't nearly as stupid as people thought. Of course, Athena also admitted to me that she adored her father and looked up to him so that might sway her opinions on him.

"Because I didn't." I said.

"You didn't, what?" Zeus asked, his eyebrows narrowing. It reminded me of the look Athena got when something unexpected occurred.

"I didn't do whatever you all are claiming I did." I said. Energy danced in his eyes dangerously.

"What do you mean?" Zeus asked.

"Look! He's clearly lying." Ares interjected, walking up to his dad. Zeus glared at me and I realized the precarious situation I was in. Zeus was acting like he wanted to eradicate me with his eyes, Ares was grinning like he was about to watch the poor god Victor get plucked while Athena was in a corner going coo-coo for Olympus knows what.

"I have an alibi." I said.

"No he doesn't!" Ares shouted.

I coughed. "Please oh so gracious, Ares... I was talking before you opened up your jumbo mouth." I said, unable to resist a little quip at his own expense. The heat behind his biker glasses increased.

"Why you little—"

"What's you alibi?" Zeus asked me before Ares could get any further with his sentence.

"I was at the My Little Pony Marathon." I said. Ares got a victorious look. Great, don't tell me...

"Not going to work!" Ares said. "This happened after it ended."

Sparks flew between Zeus' fingers.

"Things are looking pretty bad for you." Zeus said in a near growl.

"Wait— Let Athena read my mind!" I said suddenly.

"What?" Zeus asked, his eyes widen with surprise.

"I said let Athena read my mind," I repeated. "If I'm guilty, she'll see."

Unless things go wrong...

Hera's POV

I pushed up out of my chair.

"Sissy, it's time to talk." I said to Hestia. Her eyes widen slightly but I didn't give her the chance to say no. I grabbed her hand and dragged her out of the room. The rest of the family stared at me in shock but I didn't care: this was between me and her now. We got outside and I swung her arm around so that she was facing me. I tried to look her in the eyes but she kept her eyes at a downcast.

"Ever since this game began, you've been having problems with mom. Why?" I asked. She starred intently at the ground for several moments. After a while, the look in her eyes began to reflect hurt, misery, pain.

"She has a lot to be angry with me about." Hestia said quietly.

"What do you mean?" I asked quietly. Hestia pursed her lips.