Chapter 7 - Learning Curve (I)

Start from the beginning

Decker took the weapon. He held it like he had seen in works of fiction and looked around for approval. When he looked back a holodisplay projected out of the back of the gun, showing all kinds of information about the state of the weapon and the properties of what it was pointed at.

"Do you want the wall to die?" asked Xing, tersely.

"No," said Decker, still holding the gun.

She pushed the barrel down towards the floor.

"Then don't point a gun at it."

* * *

The saucer-shaped drone used a force field to attach the harness to Decker. One strap went tightly around his waist, and two more up over his shoulders like suspenders. A final strap went under his arms and held a standard AG module at chest level. Smaller AG modules were found at strategic points around the harness to supplement the primary one and give the harness a high level of maneuverability.

Decker found it immediately uncomfortable.

"Why can't I just use one of those suit things?" asked Decker. "Can't those fly?"

"Those 'suit things' are, as individuals, all smarter and more important than you," explained the drone. "It is a waste of their time and beneath their dignity to teach you how to fly. It's a waste of my time too, for that matter, but someone has to do it."

The two stood in the landing bay, full of shiny Partisan-class Escorts. It had the highest ceiling of any room on the Sic Semper Tyrannis so it was the best pick for flight training.

"It's thought activated," said the drone. "Give it a go. Ease up slowly."

Decker shot up to the ceiling like a bullet, slamming into it and plummeting to the floor. The drone caught him in a force field before he hit the ground. He was out cold.

* * *

"Psychic powers?" asked Decker. "Really?"

"Yes Mr. Decker, really," said the old woman, who still hadn't told Decker her name. He was afraid to ask at this point.

She held a white strip in her hands with a glowing blue adhesive back.

"Just play along and we'll get this screening over with."

"Whatever," said Decker, putting his hands up in defeat.

The old woman affixed the white strip to Decker's forehead to monitor his brain waves. Then she sat back down at the other end of the table.

The old woman drew a card from a deck in front of her and held it so that she could see the front and Decker could only see the blank white back.

"Now, tell me what's on this card," she said.

"Is it a dog?" guessed Decker.

"It's a playing card."

"It is the 4 of dogs?" guessed Decker.

"Please take it seriously Mr. Decker."

"Fine. Is it the Jack of Hearts?"

The old woman turned the card around. It was.

"Oh Tellus, this is stupid that doesn't count it was just a guess."

The old woman picked up a new card.

"What's on this card?" she asked.

"The 4 of dogs," said Decker defiantly, crossing his arms.

* * *