Chapter 24

Emma

The trip back to the castle was boring!

Eric hadn't even noticed that Sabrina wasn't with us. Such an idiot! With the big fuss he made earlier, you think he would have noticed. I expected a fight or something dramatic, no his lack of observational skills or reaction was boring

To add to it, the travel was just a long never ending run. Maybe, I am exaggerating, but I was so tired! And my injuries hurt like a bitch! I think I have earned the right to complain! I was running alongside Alec with Jack and Jason shadowing me like bodyguards. I don't really know what went down between them and their mate, but I still feel bad.

They told me that they intend to give their mate Axel, the Royal Beta, some space and to make it seem like they didn't follow him to castle, they will be my bodyguards. It makes my family and the people back at the Organization feel more confident. Laurine, through mind-link, has reassured me that going with my mate is a decision no one will resent me for, but I am not sure. The relationship between Royals and rogues is already rather strained, I don't want to make it worse.

Our arrival at the castle was in silence. There was no congratulatory party waiting for them like I imagined, just mates and close family of the warriors. The mournful howls of mates who lost their other half in battle pierced the air. I couldn't look at them, knowing that my people killed them. It shouldn't hit me as hard as it did.

They attacked my people, not the other way around. I have ten dead men on my conscience, I didn't need to take my supposed enemies as well. If I did that, I would be crazy before I reach the age of thirty, no that wouldn't do at all. Alec showed up at my shoulder and rubbed against me. The mate bond must have obviously showed him my distress.

We continue to the castle in our wolf forms and shift in separate rooms. I think it's more like Alec who a problem with me being naked in front of a bunch of unmated males while his claim on me was shaky. I let him show me to a private place to shift without much fight, I knew how to pick my battles. Our relationship was already going to be an uphill battle. I didn't need to make it harder by fighting him on every tiny thing.

I quickly shifted and got dressed in the clothes I had packed with me. I actually took it from one of the to-go bags we had hidden in the forest around the base, but no one had to know that. There was some things that were best kept secret. 

The distance between my people and I weakened the bond I shared with them. Technically, the Smith Organization was a rogue pack because we had a mind-link like official ones. That's another fact that will be kept secret from the so-called official packs. If they knew, it would change the game. Pure rogues would smell like rot or something. People in the Smith Organization smelled alike like a pack would. It tricks others.

The first fact was most likely why it took me a while to notice that Laurine was contacting me through mind-link, "Emma? Emma? Do you hear me?"

I finally hear her to answer, "Laurine, what do you need?"

I feel the relief in her voice, "Here you are. I just wanted to warn you that Leo and Glinda are arriving at the castle soon."

I smile, "Good. How are they getting here?"

I hear the amusement in her voice, "I asked Glinda and she only told me, witches."

I nod in understanding despite the fact she can't see me, "Is she still there?"

Laurine replies, "Yes."

I tell her, "Make sure that she appears in Alec's room to not arouse suspicion yet, I'll meet them there."