Chapter 5: A Quest and a Questionable Questioning

Start from the beginning

"A-Actually, I'm here to sell-what to say-various types of items." She saw no need to elaborate further as she rummaged through her backpack.

"Let's see here. There's a bottle of Konula ointment here to treat some minor wounds. A decorative knife that I don't even know it ended up here. Let's just forget that, shall we? And here's even a few extra masks I just brought just in case-"

"Okay. Okay. Point taken. Various items indeed." said the inspector impatiently as he frowned and observed the dirty leather backpack slung beside Raziela's equally dirty torso. "But there's a problem."

Raziela shifted her body in uneasiness. Cleanliness was probably not the problem Thermal was talking about.

"Is there a problem with my backpack?" she asked as she took yet another glance at her unbuckled backpack, its contents nearly spilling out of it onto the floor below.

"Oh, I'm not saying that there's a problem with the backpack," Thermal waved a dismissive wing at her and made a small laugh of what she thought was a guffaw. The inspector turns and looks at her straight in the eye. "The problem is with the things inside of it."

"W-what do you mean by t-that?" Thermal must have heard the slight tremor at the end of her sentence because he looks at her with unflinching eyes. She was instantly reminded of a Dragonbite Viper full of coiled terror, a hunting cheetah eyeing its prey.

"You know, you can never be too extra careful these days," The dragon says with a growl, his eyes practically burning into hers. "Especially with you thieving lot, foreigners and all."

Her fists clenched into a ball when she heard the insult. She'd come all the way, through thicket and thin, along snowy mountain trails, across the scorching desert, wandering throughout the hostile lands, braving cold, sleepless nights, and she hadn't even lost any of her backup supplies that she had brought along.

And now this bastard?

"Seriously, who brings a kni-"

"I had enough of your aimless shenanigans, mister. Because what do you want, really?" She scowled at Thermal and returned the stare. "Because if it's coin you're after, you're not getting any of it! And if you don't get it already, we don't support bribery! And don't dare to call me THIEF, because I AIN'T ONE, I tell you upon your mushy egg brain!"

Thermal stopped staring and was startled a little only when he looked into her eyes, flashing a turquoise green under the darkness. Raziela didn't stop staring at him though and was all fired up to defend herself, both physically and verbally, should an all-out battle occur.

"Apologies for the inconveniences, my lady." Thermal heaved a big sigh as he turned his back at her and held a talon against his forehead. "I should have known better. You can go now."

"Wait. So, I'm actually good to go now?"

"Yes, you're good to go now," Thermal said as he opened the door of the room, light flooding into the room.

"Then what about my friend over there?"

"Your friend? Oh right...But I could care less." Thermal said. "Now, go. Quickly. Before I do."

"Do what?"

"Go out this room and lock you inside."

Raziela took that as a threat and left the room as quickly as she could. She stopped five paces from the interrogation room when she saw Etherion standing outside, his face comparable to a burning sun.

"Young lady, we have much to discuss."

"Not now, Etherion. Not now."

"What was the "obligatory procedures" that I heard was for? I didn't think that was obligatory at all."

"I don't know." She said as she shrugged her shoulders. "Maybe it's something that's local here."

"Chromatic rascals." Etherion hissed, quiet enough for only them to hear. "Such stupid senseless shenanigans for such a simple task and for disrespecting a dear lady."

"And who names their dragonet Thermal, really? Like, Thermal. Seriously? Thermal. Isn't that weird or is it just me?"

"Come on Eric, stop being so eccentric!" Raziela had to force a smile as she teased her mentor. "We're already here right, so let's just make the best out of it while we can!"

"Raziela-I mean-Rebecca-"

"The last one to the market is a rotten basket of eggs!"

"For the Lord's sake, Rebecca, do wait for me!" Etherion yelled as he chased after Raziela into the merchant district of the city.

======================================================

Author's Notes: 

Wow. This chapter took a lot of effort to get the atmosphere right. 

An interrogation by an inspector. What could possibly go wrong? Was it really an interrogation, or was there something more sinister afoot? 

Well, too bad you don't get the answer that quickly. We're shifting our point of view to Iceleta in the next chapter. Trust me, everything will reveal itself in the end.

Before then, you just have to stay tuned every Saturday for new updates. Please share and don't forget to vote or add this to your library! It really helps me out. I also don't mind a message or two ;)

By then, see you in the next chapter!