Chapter Eleven

DELILAH HAD A PATIENT LOOK about her, waiting for him to tell her more as the silence went on

DELILAH HAD A PATIENT LOOK about her, waiting for him to tell her more as the silence went on. She had more patience than Jason, so he knew he'd lose this battle and decided on not fighting at all.

"I went to work today," he said. "Not the whole day, just until I had to come here."

She raised a single eyebrow. "And?"

"And?" Langdon asked, his eyes piercing through the ones of the man sitting opposite him.

"I didn't go yesterday," he admitted. It was the confession she'd been waiting for. Ever since he had started skipping days more frequently, she wanted to be kept up to date on it. "I didn't feel like it, after the interrogation."

"Interrogation?" she inquired.

"Anderson, I need you to talk," Langdon continued, his voice deep. Jason watched the man with awe, wondering how he could stay so calm while Jason wanted to jump through the glass and pin Anderson to the wall, forcing the answers out of the criminal.

It was then that he remembered she didn't know anything about it. Langdon had called him telling about the interrogation after his last session with Delilah, even though it felt like much longer ago, so he hadn't had the opportunity to tell her about it yet.

"At the police station," he said. "I got a ring from the officer who interviewed me, and he invited me to come to the interrogation of the man who was part of our kidnapping. They only needed me for the identification of the man, but I was welcome to stay longer."

"There were five of us present," Anderson said. The expression on his face didn't change. "Different people every time, so I don't know how many people there were in total."

"And you did?" she asked. Her brows furrowed together.

He nodded, his heart beating faster. She wasn't agreeing with this, he knew, but she didn't say anything about it. Instead, she asked, "What were you hoping to hear?"

"Do you have any names?"

Bullseye.

"He didn't know I was there," Jason said.

"I can't tell you."

"That's not what I asked," she replied, smiling. It was one of those smiles that made it impossible not to answer with the truth. Jason turned his head for a second, looking out the window and seeing only more silver, tall buildings outside, resembling the one he was in right now.

"An apology, maybe," he said. "Or an explanation as to why."

"Why it happened?"

"What were their names?" Langdon said again. He'd taken his eyes off his notes and looked Anderson directly in the eye.

A casual shrug. "I'm not giving them to you, old man."

"And why they chose me. And Emily."