Chapter 24

Rosalyn

Sobs escapes past my lips as I sat on the floor by the bedroom door. My whole life feels like a lie. I have been mourning a person, who I thought I knew but obviously didn't.

I shake my head, placing my elbows on my knees and weaving my fingers into the roots of my hair. 

"Dad, is this the last time we are going to move?" I ask, a little glum, as I sit one one of the bar stools in the kitchen of our new apartment.

"That's my intention, honey." He responds while placing a heavy looking box, on the counter by the stove. It's been a week since we moved in and we are still taking out our things.

I scowl, feeling annoyed. "I just don't understand why we can't just stay with grandma. Why do we have to keep on moving?"

"My job calls for it, Rosie." My father, replies, as he opens a drawer and begins to take out kitchen utensils from the box. We've been using plastic ones while waiting for the rest of our things to arrive from the movers. 

My dad chuckles, before leaving an item he had in his hand on the counter then turning to walk towards me. "I know you're tired, honey, but hey, at least we are back in New York." He says while pushing my hair back behind my ear.

"Yeah," I reply, looking down at the floor.

"Here, I've got you something." He says, and I watch as he walks over to one of the boxes resting at the entry way of the kitchen. After a moment, he returns with a small black box in his hands.

"It's not much, but I hope you like it." He says, handing the box to me. I open it up, and my lips part seeing a round, gold pendant, hanging around a thin gold chain.

"It's a locket, open it." He says and I gently take the shiny item out of the box and do as he says. I let out a small gasp past my lips, taking in the sight of the two pictures inside. On one side, there was a picture of my grandmother and me and on the other side, I am with my father. In the picture, both of his arms are  wrapped around me, over my shoulders from behind, as we both smile widely at the camera.

"Dad, it's beautiful." I say, looking up at him.

"I know I put you though a lot. I know it's not easy but is always going to be me and you kid." He says, hiding out his right hand, with his picky in the air.

"You and me, dad." I smile, hooking my pinky with him for a moment, before standing and wrapping my arms around his waist.

"I love you so much, sweetheart." He says, smoothing my hair with his hand, pulling me closer to him.

"I love you too."

"Rosalyn," Harry speaks as the door to the bedroom clicks open beside me.

"Go away." I groan, knowing it's a little redundant to say that since this is his home.

"No, you have to listen to me." He says as I roll my eyes, and stand up.

"I don't have to listen to a word that you say." I say, denying him.

"Rose, please."

"Don't call me that!" I snap. "Don't you dare call me that! You don't deserve to call me that! You lied!"

"Yes, I lied." Harry nods. "But just let me explain."

"Explain what?" I scowl. "Nothing was real Harry!"

"Why?" I ask. "Why would you do something like this? I mean how could you sleep with me knowing...." I trail off running a hand through my hair, fresh tears pooling in my eyes. "You know what? Forget it."