He finished with the second and Alice repeated the process of stretching her sore muscles before looking down at the pad and pen still on her stomach. Slowly, as if trying to not get bit by a snake, she reached down and clasped the pen in her right hand. With her left, she moved the pad up closer to her chest. It was still hard to see, being so used to complete darkness, but Alice focused as best as she could and began remembering the letters she needed to write her own name.

It hurt Dr. Hansen to watch, she was so slow and he could tell it was hard for her to move. But if this was how they were to communicate, then it had to be done. Calling her Jane was not going to do her any good, unless of course that was her name. Blake sat back down on the side of her bed and watched as the letters began to form. A L I C E. It looked like his niece had just drawn the name written on his pad. It was shaky and ill formed, but he could still tell exactly what she had written. “Alice.” He said and smiled. “That's a pretty name.” He watched as a weak smile tried to peak through across her lips. Her short blonde hair was like that of an angel's he thought, but she was so weak. The atrophy had well set in, despite the physical therapists daily visits. But it was her dark blue eyes that still held that look of deep set fear that made Dr. Hansen want to reach down and squeeze her hand.

He knew better though, and decided to just keep near her instead. Hopefully letting her know that he was a friend, not a foe. “Alice, do you know where you are?” She shook her head. “Well Alice, you're at St. Micheal's Hospital in the town of New Coven. Its a little spot on the map just south of Portland, Maine.” Alice looked like she was deep in thought. “Do you understand?” She slowly nodded. “Do you know what year it is?” Dr. Hansen knew this was a trick question; most coma patients couldn't remember their time spent unconscious, but it did have a point. If she could write down what year she last remembered, he would have a good idea as to how much memory she had lost, if any. Alice shook her head no. “Can you write for me again, Alice?” She nodded. “Can you write down what the last year was that you remember?” She nodded, almost as if in a trance, and picked up the pad and pen again. He watched as she shakily wrote down some digits on the paper. 1 9 9 5. Blake looked at the pad for almost a whole minute, while the truth stood out in those four little numbers. Fifteen years. She had only been in a coma for the last four, which meant she had lost about eleven years of memories.

He tried to smile back at her puzzled look, but didn't succeed. “Alice, it's 2010.” He saw her eyebrows furrow deep, as if she was trying to piece something together. “It's okay Alice, we're here to help. Some patients in your condition can get back most of their memory if not all of it.” He had said it, but wasn't truly sure it was the case. Eleven years was a lot to try and get back. They both sat next to one another deep in thought, and Dr. Hansen almost missed her head moving again. He snapped back to the present and turned back to face her.

She was writing again, in the same childish handwriting as before. It took her longer than usual, and she held the pad up so high to her face that he couldn't see what it was she was writing. Finally, she set down the pen, and handed him the pad. He picked through the scratches she had tried so hard to form into letters. He knew it had been difficult for her. She was sweating from the strain, and he knew he was going to have to let her rest some more tonight and give her the chance to process what was happening. He deciphered it without too much work.

I Hav nAt forgEtt

“Okay, well good Alice, I'm glad we've had a good start here.” He said, beginning to move off the bed. He was stopped quickly by a hand grabbing at his sleeve. Dr. Hansen didn't know where she had gotten the strength, but he let himself be quickly pulled down onto the bed next to Alice. His mind began to race, and before he could get a grip on the situation, he froze. Nothing like this had ever once happened to him. Yeah sure, he had patients flirt with him before, but none were bold enough to do anything remotely like this. Her hand moved south to his waist, and before he knew what was going on, she had his belt undone, his jeans unzipped, and was deftly making her way towards what he knew would only lead to trouble. As if someone had poked him with a branding iron, he bolted upright, and jumped off the bed, holding his pants up by the edge.

Blake was panting, and a little light headed. He watched as she painfully tried to get up off the bed as well. “No, no, no, Alice lay back down!” He roared, more angry at himself than at her. She obeyed and watched as he put himself back together. Blake kept his eyes on her the entire time, not sure whether to run or stay. It took him a few minutes to compose himself before he decided to stay, but now chose the chair in the corner, rather than the bed.

She looked frightened for the second time that day. “I'm sorry, Alice, but that kind of behavior isn't acceptable here. Do you understand?” Alice nodded. “Okay, good. Don't be afraid, its alright. I'm not mad.” Her face did not change. “I'm not mad, okay?” She nodded. “Alice, why don't you get some rest, we'll talk some more tomorrow.” Almost instantly, she closed her eyes and pretended to be fast asleep. He knew she was still awake, and aware he was still there, so he decided to stay. He picked up the files he had brought with him and began opening them on the table next to the chair.

Using his pen light, Blake kept the room dark for her, while he decided to try and get some work done. At least until she was truly asleep. He found the pad he had been jotting notes in, the same one Alice had been writing on. I Hav nAt forgEtt became imprinted into his thoughts. Did she truly remember what had happened to her? If so, the police should have an easier time than they probably thought. But it was almost sad to him, thinking that it would almost be better if she had forgotten.

Blake hadn't seen this kind of abuse in his entire medical profession, and thought he was probably never going to see another case like this in his enitre life. At least, he hoped not. He began thinking of what he had done to cause Alice to frisk him. He didn't think he had been sending out any signs, but it just didn't make sense any other way. It couldn't have been her own idea, not with that look of fear she kept trying to push off her face. She had still been afraid of him, so why pull him down onto her bed? He tried to find some answers in the parts of her case files that he had with him, but there was no mention of anything remotely close to that there. He didn't remember seeing a rape kit report in any of her boxes.

Blake looked at the clock thinking maybe it had been long enough to leave without her knowing, an hour at the most. It had been three, now it was a quarter to six in the morning. “Shit.” He mumbled to himself. Alice was sleeping peacefully in her bed, so Blake quietly got his things and snuck out the door, making sure to latch it quietly behind him.