43 | public display of affection

it was a lazy sunday morning in doyoung's apartment, the november sun doing little to warm the winter breeze that tinkled through the windchimes above the flowers in the window box.

but the icy chill in the air didn't reach doyoung's bed, or the occupants that lay beyond the sheets. drowsy under the blanket of heat that surrounded them, jaehyun stirred in the late hours of the morning, basking in the warmth that seemed to radiate through doyoung's skin. he could've drowned in that feeling forever, wrapped in each others' arms, limbs entangled.

and he would've stayed there too, if it wasn't for the incessant crackling buzz of the doorbell.

"what's that noise?" doyoung mumbled almost incoherently, shifting his weight on the mattress to swing a leg over jaehyun's hip.

eyes still half shut, jaehyun buried his face in doyoung's neck, refusing to acknowledge the existence of any potential visitors. his lips brushed over a tender spot from last night, where red was blooming on doyoung's milky skin, one of the only places jaehyun had managed to mark him before the tables had turned.

"jae," doyoung murmured, inhaling at the way jaehyun had started kissing his neck, "jae, the door..."

the buzzer was still ringing, as if someone was trying to press the life out of it on the other side. jaehyun tried to ignore the sound and cling onto the moment, climbing on top of doyoung who looked so inviting lying on the pillows like that. "i didn't get my turn last night," jaehyun whispered, and doyoung responded with a smirk that could've started a whole chain of dirty remarks.

little did they know, johnny seo was at the door.

he'd given up on ringing the doorbell by now, and had figured out that the door was already unlocked. with a shrug of his shoulders, he let himself into the apartment, slightly thrown by the similarity of the layout to jaehyun's. johnny had almost forgotten that jaehyun had unofficially moved in with doyoung now, and had spent at least ten minutes knocking at jaehyun's door instead of doyoung's.

there was a reason johnny was in such a rush. he needed help. fast. but where was jaehyun when he needed him?

"oh my fucking god," johnny spluttered as he rounded the corner into the bedroom, hand shooting upwards to cover his eyes, "i am so sorry, i-"

"johnny?!"

jaehyun's eyes widened in alarm, scrambling off doyoung as quickly as he could, whilst doyoung wriggled as far under the sheets as he could go, utterly embarrassed.

"the- the door was unlocked!" johnny practically screeched in accusation, "it's not my fault if you guys were- well, uh-"

"just because the door's unlocked, doesn't mean you can just come in!" jaehyun shot back, looking from johnny in the doorway, to doyoung peeking out of the edge of the covers, and back to johnny again.

"i'm sorry, okay? goddamnit!" johnny yelled, "i'll just go, see you in college!" still partially covering his eyes with his hands, he stumbled out of the bedroom doorway and back into the rest of the apartment.

"wait!" jaehyun called, pulling up his boxers a little higher over his hips, "don't you dare leave, johnny! go and sit on the couch!"

the only time johnny ever came to his apartment (other than to drink) was if he needed advice. and jaehyun wasn't about to let him go without giving him that advice.

"sorry, doyoungie," jaehyun murmured, planting a kiss on the top of doyoung's head before darting out of the bedroom to talk to his problematic best friend.

johnny was perched awkwardly on the edge of the couch, almost suffocating in the silence. jaehyun sat on the opposite end of the sofa and tried his best to analyse what johnny's problems would turn out to be. to make a guess, it was probably about his love life. but that would mean johnny would actually have to be serious about whoever he was seeing. this couldn't be the same as the rest of his past flings and one night stands.