35 | singing in the rain

moon taeil's life really did paint the perfect picture of pathetic fallacy. that would explain why it always seemed to rain all the time.

(or, at least, every time he actually decided to go outside.)

and now, caught up in a confrontation with johnny seo himself, the rain had started to pelt down on the roof of the science block, soaking them both to the skin. worse than that, a storm seemed to be brewing, which was an accurate representation of taeil's frustration at this point.

"you know what?" johnny said flatly, his voice barely crossing the rooftop over the sound of the rain, "just forget it." raking a hand through his wet hair, he gave up on the argument and pushed past taeil to head down the stairs back inside.

"wait-" taeil faltered, staring after him as he watched johnny's broad shoulders disappear around the corner and into the building.

what was he doing? giving up? it was ridiculous. if taeil had learnt one thing about johnny seo and his irritatingly confident personality - it was that he didn't ever give up. on anything. so what was he doing now?

"you can't just walk away!" taeil called after him, but his voice was a soundless echo through the thundering rain.

they were supposed to have a big fight, where taeil got to yell out all his feelings and argue back against johnny's retorts. but what was this? taeil felt his heart twist in his chest, mind conflicted with mixed emotions. this was his first big disagreement with somebody (except the time he fell out with doyoung because doyoung had said chemistry overall was better than physics, but that's another story) and he didn't know how it was supposed to go. feeling so clueless just pissed him off more, and he worked himself up to strengthen his resolve and march on inside.

because when you start something with moon taeil, you'd better fucking well intend to finish it.

"johnny!"

taeil ran inside, soaked to the skin, raindrops trickling down his face, but johnny was nowhere to be seen. it wasn't surprising really, considering how much faster he could walk on those long legs of his. taeil moved quickly through the corridors, the dim flickering lights of the science block replacing stormy grey skies. perhaps it wasn't even the anger urging him on anymore, drawing him closer to the boy he kept telling himself he hated. he had unfinished business with johnny seo; he just wasn't certain which kind.

taking the stairs, taeil's mind whirled as he tried to catch up with the hockey player. it was only when he turned the corner onto the first floor that he spotted johnny heading for the stairs that led down to the ground floor and out of the building. he raced after him, catching johnny's wrist...

...before stumbling, and letting him slip out of his grasp.

"wait!" taeil was breathing heavily now, hesitating to buy himself time as he figured out what to say.

"i told you, taeil, just forget it," johnny told him tiredly, shaking his head.

(for a split second, taeil really missed johnny calling him more affectionate nicknames, even if moony was the dumbest thing he'd ever heard.)

"no," taeil refused, eyes fixated on johnny's as he backed him into a corner, "i can't... i can't just leave things like this, okay?"

johnny looked down at the shorter, torn between wanting to yell at him, and push him away. "talk then," he sighed, "you talk, i'll say sorry, and we'll leave it there. is that fine? you don't have to sit by me in math anymore either, but i guess you've already got that figured out."

"why are you making it seem like this is my fault?" taeil demanded with an incredulous expression on his face, "you're the one who lied to me. i'm just dealing with the consequences."