18 | overnight stay

tick. tock. tick.

it was approaching midnight and the lights in jung jaehyun's living room were still on. though only the corner lamps were alive and glowing, casting the room in a golden warmth which was welcome in the autumn months that led slowly up to winter.

jung jaehyun might have to work three jobs to stay afloat, but he hadn't lost his central heating yet and he was perfectly content to walk around in his sweatpants and nothing else while his neighbour helped him out with his literature assignment.

"so," said doyoung, stifling a tiny yawn, "why did romeo and juliet have to go to such lengths to be together?" he was sitting cross-legged on jaehyun's carpet, his notes spread out on the floor in front of them both.

"because they were in love?" jaehyun's eyes flicked up to meet doyoung's, his smile betraying the fact that he was joking around. he was lying on his back, head turned to get a good view of the literature notes, propped up with his hand.

doyoung gave him a look, although he was also finding it hard to concentrate on romeo and juliet at that hour of the night. "try, they were strongly influenced by their parents and were under their control, therefore couldn't openly break away from their parents' views," he rambled, voice trailing off with tiredness.

in fact, the words that spilled out of his mouth might as well not have been about romeo and juliet at all. in doyoung's case, they were more closely linked to his parents and their views. doyoung couldn't exactly be open about love either.

regardless of that, doyoung was finding it very difficult to concentrate because jaehyun was smiling again.

he was also having a very hard time trying not to stare at jaehyun's abs that were so openly on show.

"seriously though, thank you," jaehyun said, wriggling around so that he was sitting up next to doyoung, "i didn't have a clue how i was going to do the assignment... i didn't take anything in during the class today."

"or the one yesterday," doyoung sighed, meeting jaehyun's eyes, "or the one before that. you can't keep sleeping through class... you need to get more sleep..."

jaehyun shook his head and brushed him off. "i'm fine," he assured him, though he didn't sound so sure himself, "i'll just have to drink more coffee or something."

doyoung bit his lip, feeling a sharp pang in his chest. he'd never felt worry quite like that. growing up, doyoung was used to only caring about himself, doing everything he could to help and protect his own interests. now, for the first time ever, he was really worried about his neighbour jung jaehyun.

and being so worried only worried him more.

"you need to get more rest," doyoung insisted, though he was fighting off another yawn himself.

"i think it's past your bedtime, actually," jaehyun objected with a low, sleep-deprived chuckle.

they were sitting so close now, backs against the edge of the couch, shoulders barely touching.

"i'm serious!" doyoung protested, turning his head to meet jaehyun's twinkling gaze. "bed. now..."

jaehyun didn't utter another word, but he kept his eyes fixed on doyoung's face for what felt like eternity. doyoung held his breath, a constricting sensation gripping at his chest, making him feel a whole plethora of unidentified emotions. and yet still jaehyun's gaze remained locked with his.

"yo, big daddy jaehyun!" came a loud bellow through the doorway, "the foreign swaggers are in the house!"

the moment between them was shattered and doyoung felt an instant rush of heat to his entire face. he started gathering up a mess of papers, rushing in the intense levels of stress his heart was putting him under. it was really painful that they were semi-crumpled and no longer organised by shakespearian theme.