~ 54 ~

Auro blew out his cheeks as the butlers opened the double doors

Auro blew out his cheeks as the butlers opened the double doors. He exited and ascended the balcony. The ballroom was decorated far beyond his expectations. The servants had truly outdone themselves. He smiled and waved to the guests. Customs to uphold and all that. His gaze went over all the faces until he came to the group of his friends. He smiled and nodded his head to them. He chuckled at Aleia's step-brothers. Their eyes were wide with excitement. Auro was sure he'd never seen anyone with expressions quite like theirs.

His father gave the order for everyone to return to their diversions. This gave Auro the excuse he needed to join his friends. He was welcomed with laughter, slaps on the shoulder and many an embrace.

"This is coolest thing we've ever seen," Ruperto said while his arms were wrapped around Azris' Howler form. "Parties in our world are nowhere near as extravagant."

"Then I suggest you take full advantage," the Prince replied with a chuckle.

"Oh, I plan to," Ronell grinned at a pretty girl who was watching him from across the room.

"Dude!" his brother punched his arm. "Don't go making a fool of yourself. Besides, what happens if we end up returning to Earth?"

"Bro, I'm staying here and so are you. I know how you feel about our mother . . ."

Ronell paused a moment before motioning for his brother to follow him to a vacant area of the ballroom. Auro didn't need to wonder what they were about to discuss. He remembered how Aleia had mentioned her stepmother's cruelty toward Ruperto.

"My parents still mourn my sister," Lumin said as he appeared at Auro's side. "But their hearts shall be mended as mine is mended."

"I'm glad to hear of it," the Prince said, nodding. "I am sure everyone will always remember Lusie for the person she was and not the person she became."

"I believe that as well. So . . . Have you heard her voice at all today?"

"Not a single word. Makes me wonder if it was just my imagination."

Lumin chuckled, "We both know you are not a loon."

Auro smirked, "Yes, but with all that has taken place until now, my mind is not what it used to be."

"Such hushed voices," Aurora laughed as she joined them. "What rumors are you conspiring?"

Lumin grinned as she pressed a kiss to his cheek, causing it to turn the color of light roses.

"What's this?" Auro asked, mouth agape. "Rogue and royal guard sharing intimate moments? I never heard of such a thing."

He said this in good fun, wanting to tease his friend. But it only made him think of Aleia.

Inanis saw the subtle change in the Prince's expression and moved to stand closer.

"She's going to be fine," he said, watching as other guests went to start a group dance. "I know everyone is repeating this to you. But as someone who has learned true trust through someone else trusting me first . . . I have trust in good faith that Aleia is going to be just fine."

Auro opened his mouth to thank Inanis, but was interrupted by the loud fanfare of trumpets. He, and everyone else looked to the grand doorway of the ballroom. The royal herald stood at the top of a staircase, to which the large double doors would open.

"People of Anerathia!" cried out the Herald. "It seems we have a late guest arrival! Please, let us give this youth our warmest of welcomes!"

The herald bowed and motioned to the guards to open the doors. The guests all clamored and gave applause to the newcomer. However, it soon became hard for anyone at the back of the crowd to see who was entering the ballroom. Especially for those who were shorter in stature.

"Oh, she is lovely!"

"Such a lovely gown!"

"I want the name of her seamstress."

"Look at how she walks! Such elegance!"

Voices and whispers of compliments filled the room. The Prince could not see who had entered. He glanced at Inanis, who nodded.

"Please," he said as he began walking through the crowd. "Make way for Prince Auro. He wishes to greet his guest."

A path parted. A direct way to the new guest. Auro walked in the manner he was taught. The walk of a prince. And as he neared the guest, he too was struck by her loveliness. Her exquisite gown, which was a similar shade of blue to the clothes he was wearing, and her elegant manner. Her back was turned to him as she looked up around the room. Her hair came down, similar to that of a cascading waterfall.

"You are welcome," he said, placing his hands behind his back.

"My prince," she said with a rather quick, startled, turn and bowed her head low. "Thank you."

Auro froze as a strange feeling came over him. A sensation he found familiar, but did not recognize fully.

Just then, the King announced a dance between the Prince and the guest of his choice. Auro glanced over his shoulder to his friends, giving them a look of puzzlement. Lumin shrugged and motioned a finger to the new arrival.

She's pretty, he mouthed but earned a slap from Aurora who was standing beside him. Auro chuckled, rolled his eyes and turned back to the lovely guest.

"Will you share this dance with me?" he asked, extending his hand.

The girl took his hand, raising her head to meet his gaze.

"Not if you're going to be shellfish" she replied with a brilliant smile.